Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan fuse blown

sshh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Berlina
Checking around the engine bay the other day and noticed that one of the fan fusible links has blown. Must be the low speed one as high speed comes on with AC.

Have multi meter but a little out of practice on using it. Can some one guide me on how to check the wiring for breaks/ bad earth. I can't physically see any damage to the wiring. Just think it would be good to check before replacing the fuse.

Any idea who would stock a 30a male fusible link? Tried supercheap buy they didn't have any, none listed on their website either.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
To check for continuity select the ohm setting on the multimeter, place one probe on each side of the terminals and you should get some sort of reading, if you get no reading the fuse has blown.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Last edited:

sshh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Berlina
I'd bet Holden would have them.

High speed is for normal cooling and low speed (5 pin) switches for the A/C.

Post #5 explains a bit better....http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/223400-vt-ss-5-0-thermos.html

Thanks,

Replaced fuse today, watching the fans as engine heated up with AC off both fans come on to cool. With the engine cold switching the AC on also let's both fans run. Is this normal for the 3.8? Or is something amiss with the relays?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It is normal, the fans always come on when you switch on the A/C regardless of the temperature.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
High speed is for normal cooling and low speed (5 pin) switches for the A/C.

Post #5 explains a bit better....http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/223400-vt-ss-5-0-thermos.html

Except it (post #5) is not correct :).

Originally in VT (Series I) both fans were switched on, with two fan speeds (motor windings) for each fan; low speed and high speed. Engine cooling and A/C switching criteria (which includes road speed and A/C pressure) are used to switch both low and high speeds. i.e. the low speed fan is initially switched on for engine cooling or A/C cooling. If the engine temperature continues to rise or the A/C pressure (proportional to A/C high pressure temp.) continues to rise the high fan speed will be used.

The BCM switches the low speed, the PCM switches in either the high speed windings only (if the low speed is - already - being switched by the BCM) or both low and high speed windings if there is a problem with the BCM switching the low speed windings. Both the BCM and PCM switching is done through the 5 pin relay with the PCM switching also done through a 4 pin relay in series or parallel (depending on whether or not the BCM has switched the low speed windings) with the 5 pin.

With later VT- (~Series II) the "low speed fan" became switching one of the two fans on, while the "high speed fan" means both fans are on. There might be some overlap around Series I and Series II being the cut off for the change i.e. there may be some late Series II VT that still use both fans on and the two fan speeds. As long as you can observe two noticeably different fan speeds (try disconnecting the coolant temp. sensor), both fans on is OK.

For future reference, fusible links are usually given away from wreckers if you ask nicely.