Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan Kills Engine

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
check all the ECU earths - there's about 4 or 5 black cables from the ECU, if you need pin numbers i can let you know by tomorrow....

My theory (with limited electronics knowledge) on the dodgy earth is that the voltage is measured at the ECU.... maybe the ecu isn't earthed properly, and when something requiring earthing (like fan switching on) along with everything else that's being earthed by the ECU, it could mess things up? along with giving faulty voltage readings?

Just a silly theory, but might be worthy trying, if you've been looking for 3 months! :p

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I'll look at the earths on the ECU. I got the data cable a few days ago so now can see whats happening. But need to learn what all the numbers mean....

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Spoke to a sparky today and he said to look at the anti theft bypass above the clove box as this could be the fault.
Also some one said they had a crap running car and replaced the fuel pump and that fixed it. Can a dodgy wire connection to the fuel pump kill the engine? you can hear the pump when u turn the ignition on and off again. The engine starts instantly when u turn the key after it stalls every time. Very puzzled on this one.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
anti theft switch is an interesting theory....

but i'm not sure if you have one on the vn?

basically, the anti theft bypass switch will give your ecu +12v to pin A6 (or A5) can't remember, but it's one of those and it's a pink wire....

when there is no +12v at that ecu pin, you get no injector pulse... (or the efi relay isn't triggered, or something like that :) either way, car will NOT run with anti theft pin not powered)

Luke.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I just opened the glove box and touched the key for the anti theft lock and car dies..... poke a screw driver in it and give it a twist car starts. riggle some more car dies.
This must be it. After 3 months of !!#@##*&^(*)^*&....theirs some new words it there!!! I feel better now.

Must be a short or something like it. Ill try to bypass it (the vn sedan I have has a bypass not the wagon)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
No error codes from the ecu. I've made peace with the fan...

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
That anti theft key is that whats in my door shut of my 92 vn then Ive never touched it wasnt keen in case it didnt go again. going to cut it out now for sure.