Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan mounting in boot to cool amps, advice please

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Gday guys, with summer coming up my amps get really hot!!
Seeing as they are mounted on the back seat of my car (VT) and they do not have any fans just heatsinks. My amps are suppose to be mounted on a flat surface Horizontally, doesn't work so well when they are hanging.

Just wondering if anybody can show me a good place to get some fans to cool these babies down for summer! Or some cooling tips would be great to!

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
What sort of fan should be looking for? any reccomendations how i should mount them?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
i would think mount them vertically in the boot,coz by mounting them wif the fins vertical the heat rizes drawing fresh cool air from below them,and i would also try to get some air from ya cab in there as mentioned coz all the fans in the world are gunna do jack if you have a high ambient temp to start,how hot do they get ? coz if your pumping heaps of power out of them their gunna get hot no matter what ya do,do they actually shut down from over temp ?
Phillip :wax:

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Just a quick question about this, what is the wiring setup to power them? Just connect to the amp power lead or something else?

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
depends how you want it to run?

1. you can just hook up the positive to the remote on the amp. and negative to ground.

2. hook up a relay from the remote wire and run it from the battery + wire for power feed.

depending on how skilled you are.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
this should give you an idea..you can connect as many fans as you want this way:

fanwiring.jpg

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
i would think mount them vertically in the boot,coz by mounting them wif the fins vertical the heat rizes drawing fresh cool air from below them,and i would also try to get some air from ya cab in there as mentioned coz all the fans in the world are gunna do jack if you have a high ambient temp to start,how hot do they get ? coz if your pumping heaps of power out of them their gunna get hot no matter what ya do,do they actually shut down from over temp ?
Phillip :wax:

No they have never shut down on me, just im worried about them thats all. Rarther spend soem $$$ to protect them and have them warm other then so hot if you touch them they burn your hands!

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just a quick question about this, what is the wiring setup to power them? Just connect to the amp power lead or something else?

I have a distrobution block on my boot for the 2 amps.