Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan mounting in boot to cool amps, advice please

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Nah wire them up like vn6pwr suggested, wiring them straight off the amps remote terminal will overload the remote output on your head-unit.

If the amps are getting too hot to touch then thats not good at all, much hotter and you'll start buring internal parts. I would imagine the amps dont have a thermal protection circuit as they probably should have gone into protection.

Take some pics of the amp setup and we might be able to help you out abit more.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ill get some pics up tomororw fellas!

Reaction score
A good way for your application is to mount fans above the amps on the underside of the parcel shelf, facing down onto the amps. You may want to go a step further and cut holes in the parcel shelf for the fans to suck air from.

seeing as hot air rises, it would make more sense to have the fans moving the air the other way.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
seeing as hot air rises, it would make more sense to have the fans moving the air the other way.

Got any better ideas? or do you just want to say "no that wont work, or, you cant do that"

If he was to cut holes in the parcel shelf for the fans to suck air from, he would get cooler air from the cabin, granted...not cool as its air getting heated up from the window but theres really no other option except turn the fans around and have them suck the air out the boot.

Youre really about 16, arent you TDWM?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would start by wiring them up as described above, relay from the remote signal BUT dont worry to much about mounting the fans. Just mount them roughly so that you can give them a test run. If the amp is getting as hot as you say I cant really see the fans doing much at all. You really need some good heatsinks to carry the heat away from the amp and maximise the area for the fans to draw away the heat. Not a pratical solution though. Depends how much you love the amps, but you could consider drilling some carefully placed holes in the housing. The fans would work more effiently this way. Im trying to think of solutions for you, but I cant really see the fans solving your problem...

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Got any better ideas? or do you just want to say "no that wont work, or, you cant do that"

If he was to cut holes in the parcel shelf for the fans to suck air from, he would get cooler air from the cabin, granted...not cool as its air getting heated up from the window but theres really no other option except turn the fans around and have them suck the air out the boot.

Youre really about 16, arent you TDWM?

Yep, and cutting holes in the steel parcel shelf will leave his car un-roadworthy by legal standards. It's considered part of the cars structure. I was defected for it in my old car as the previous owner had cut through the steel to mount speakers with deep magnets on them or some crap.

Do it if you like, but if the cops manage to see it one day, you will get a form or a lovely yellow sticker.

TIGER-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S2 S-Pac
the normal computer fans have potential but they are just gonna disperse the air...making some sort of tube with a slit in it to create a jet of air to fire directly on the amp would be a better option...

TIGER-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S2 S-Pac
Yep, and cutting holes in the steel parcel shelf will leave his car un-roadworthy by legal standards. It's considered part of the cars structure. I was defected for it in my old car as the previous owner had cut through the steel to mount speakers with deep magnets on them or some crap.

Do it if you like, but if the cops manage to see it one day, you will get a form or a lovely yellow sticker.

its not illegal is it...because didn't the calais versions have free air subs mounted in there...

in the the standard ones they are just metal plates that are tack welded over perfectly shaped holes...so it's not 'cutting into' the parcel shelf