Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan not working VS help !

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hi guys, I'm just after some advise. The VS fan control does not work at all. Doesn't matter what speed setting...no fan.. However if I push the A/C button the slightest bit of A/C comes out enough to demist the windscreen of a morning. I have read a few old posts with people saying the resistor under the wipers may be faulty but everyone states the fan still works on speeds 1 and 2. My fan doesn't work at all. I've used a test lamp and have power at the fuse box ? Any ideas :bang:

Amped

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk wags & Vl berlina
if the resistor goes it can either take out the whole lot or only a couple. It is most likley the resistor if the fuses still have power

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
other possibilities would be that your fan is dead, or the switch is.
Checked fuses and relay if there is one ?

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Greenacc, I tested the power and it goes all the way to the back of the fan control unit. The fuses/relay all appear to be ok. I can jag a fan control for $20 down at the wreckers but will check the resistor first before I waste by money....after all $20 will get me a case of beer :)

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
if the resistor goes it can either take out the whole lot or only a couple. It is most likley the resistor if the fuses still have power

Thaks amp I'm leaning towards the resistor I'll check that first.

xitekamelion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs S2 Ecotec Equipe
out of curiosity does the AC light turn on when you push the button, usual the ac doesnt activate intill the fan controll is turned on, not sure how the ac works but if it triggers the AC via the resistive circuit then it may well just be a dead fan. good luck with the diagnosis.

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
yeah, the A/C light comes on when pushed in only when the fan is positioned on fan speed 1, 2 etc..... if you turn the fan speed off and the A/C light is on, the A/C light turns off. I sat in the car and pushed the A/C button to the on position.....waited and turned the fan speed to position 1. I swear I could here a slight hum of a fan but you can not feel anything through the vents. But as I said before the window of a morning still demists so the A/C is still de-fogging the window.