Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan relay lifespan

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Out of all cars i've owned only had one faulty relay replaced under warranty/factory recall on a vt ss when it was 12 months old...did the opposite when fans came on they stayed on even after car turned off lol

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Relays are pretty robust things and basically all these cars go to scrap with them still installed and never removed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the issue for mine is the holder as it has a melted spot on the main power position. Which is affecting the way it tightens on the relay post.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
ahhh ! the ol' VL fuse rail issue around the headlight fuse where they all melt due to high current being drawn through the fuse and heating up the plastic thus deforming it.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
lose connections that draw lots of current get hot. Good chance to use those crimp links you showed me in another thread 4 or 5 joins?
330-075_HR_0.jpg

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Just checking are thermo fan relays something that wears out quicker than all the other exactly same ones under the bonnet? My fans stopped again tonight and it nearly boiled. Happened before but last time it wasn't 10deg but it did boil over after stopping at some lights.
Tonight it went up to the second last bar before red but came down to about half by the time I hit the highway. Got home and no fans even with A/C on. Swapped over a relay from A/C and bam the fans worked.
I have no probs going to Holden and buying a new relay for 20 bucks, more curious as to understand if these tend not to last as long, since they probably get the most work out and highest load? Or whether I need to look at getting a SH fan from the wreckers? I guess my thinking is if it was a fan issue then surely a fuse would blow?
I've had one of the fan relays die, can't remember which. I am sure none of the other relays gave trouble.