Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan relay lifespan

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just checking are thermo fan relays something that wears out quicker than all the other exactly same ones under the bonnet? My fans stopped again tonight and it nearly boiled. Happened before but last time it wasn't 10deg but it did boil over after stopping at some lights.
Tonight it went up to the second last bar before red but came down to about half by the time I hit the highway. Got home and no fans even with A/C on. Swapped over a relay from A/C and bam the fans worked.
I have no probs going to Holden and buying a new relay for 20 bucks, more curious as to understand if these tend not to last as long, since they probably get the most work out and highest load? Or whether I need to look at getting a SH fan from the wreckers? I guess my thinking is if it was a fan issue then surely a fuse would blow?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Usually the relay is the cause in that case. But did you try the fan relay in the headlight socket? Could be a bad connection in the fan relay socket.

Not common to have to replace relays at all really.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I swapped it over with the A/C and the fans fired back up. Although I am pretty sure the A/C was working with the faulty relay. It was dark and i just needed to make sure i was right to head to work in the morning. I was wondering if the pins or female parts may be corroded or blackend. Too hard to see in the dark. I will remove the relay pour some Alibrite on them tomorrow and have a look at the posts on the relay as well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have WD, I have used contact cleaner from Repco and it was useless. The good gear is at Jaycar just don't get there too often anymore. Is alibrite too harsh for for electrical contacts?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I have WD, I have used contact cleaner from Repco and it was useless. The good gear is at Jaycar just don't get there too often anymore. Is alibrite too harsh for for electrical contacts?
That stuff’s corrosive from memory. If it’s what I think it is, it’s probably one of the worst things you could put on electrical connections lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah its a alloy restorer so acid based. I will wet n dry the relay posts and put some RP7 on the females. Then push and pull the relay a few times to clean up the contact surface. Chances are they are just tarnished from being so old. I might grab a new relay from Holden though for the engine fan, since its not one i want to fail.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just had a look at the relay holder and it has been arcing on the main power post. Looks like a tip to the wreckers to see if they will part with a holder. I just need to find a damaged relay panel that has already been chopped into, as I will need to cut wires since I'm having trouble getting the terminal out of the holder. I will probably need an auto electrician to crimp on a new terminal. I have cleaned up the lugs with some brake cleaner and some RP7 and tried to tighten up the lug with a small screw driver.

Am I right in thinking a VS should be the same as VR? I know they are similar all the way through to VX, just not sure if they are all the same wire colours etc.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I could've sent you that for nix with the two radiator bards as these parts are plentiful here in Adelaide.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I should be able to get one cheap. I just have to poke around 15 wrecks to find one that the wiring harness have been raped and pillaged.