Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan speed switch working intermintently

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
The one that contols the fan speed that drives air into driver and passenger area.

Probably been a thread about this sort of thing before but a search didn't find it.

Would it be a dickie switch or an else where problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Anybody else had the same problem? Don't want to pull the dash apart if that is where the problem isn't. I did replace a relay above the front right hand tyre last year when it was doing it. Made no difference. With summer fast approaching, you know. Cheers.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Fan speed resistor pack probably, if it only works on the highest speed and not some of the others/intermitent

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
Fan speed resistor pack probably, if it only works on the highest speed and not some of the others/intermitent

Thanks vn6.

Works on none or all.

The answer would be have to pull the dash out to replace resistor pack?

Got a lot of other work on.

Not looking forward to it but mainly just don't want to do it unnecessarily.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Thanks vn6.

Works on none or all.

The answer would be have to pull the dash out to replace resistor pack?

Got a lot of other work on.

Not looking forward to it but mainly just don't want to do it unnecessarily.

do a search for fan speed resistor. its a common prob and is easily fixed. its under the windscreen wipers so you dont have to pull the dash apart.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Even if it is the resistor pack it should still work on the highest speed as that is not resisted ie. 1:1 speed, your best bet would be to get a gregorys wiring diagram and trace it all back to the cause. I'm currently racking my brain with mine ATM, I've tested everything, it even work's if i tap from another power source, so i think its a dodgey wire/connection somewhere, just got to get to it :ranting:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a fusible link in the engine bay for the blower motor, if this was blown (doubt it) it would never work

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
yeah well thanks. Just pulled everything apart with it working and put it all back together with it still working. No backwards steps in that.:yarr:

Next time it stops, if it does, will just see if the current is getting through to the fan now that the fan has been discovered hiding there under the glovebox. It could hide but it couldn't get away. I got it.

maginoodle, if the haynes manual didn't say things about pulling the windscreen wiper blades off to get at the windscreen wiper motor, I would reckon you were having a lend of me. That cover doesn't just lift off mine. Decided the resistor pack is probably where the trouble wasn't so left well alone.

Anyway cheers and thanks. See what happens from here.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
that long plastic cover has some clips that nned to be bent to get the cover off. you need to take the wipers of as well. i cant remember exactly how i did mine but i think there was 2 nuts on the wipers that had to come of to allow the plastic cover to come off.
is there a relay on the power for the blower? i cant remember but if there is i would swap it and see if thats the prob

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
You get to the blower motor under the glove box. The fan speed resistor is under the cover under the windscreen wipers. Your fault doesnt sound like a fan speed resistor. The whole system is pretty small. Theres a fuse, a relay, a control box, a resistor and a fan. If you are good with a circuit diagram you can solve any problem with it in no time. If not, let me know and I will help to break it down for them and help them find the problem.