Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan ticking (A/C off and on).

madcowbeavis

Not your average cow
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 - 25th Anniversary
Ever since purchasing my 25th Anniversary, I've noticed a ticking noise when the air-conditioning fan is on, regardless of what position the air is directed to (i.e. feet, face, combo etc) or what temperature the air is at, or whether the actual air-conditioning is on or not. The previous owner said that he had had it investigated by the Holden dealer that he had purchased the car from and had it serviced by, and they couldn't located the source of the ticking.

Both myself and my mechanic have also been unable to locate the source of this ticking. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems to only be on Speed 1, although it may just get to a frequency at Speed 2 and Speed 3 that it's no longer audible over the rushing air.

It's starting to drive the missus bonkers, because I always have music on when driving solo, yet she wants to talk when we're in the car together, haha.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
blower motor fan bearing
only hear it on low speed

pull fan out plug it in and turn it on in your hand on 1 you will hear it if this...

else maybe a relay for fan not connecting properly like worn out on actuated side inside rely
pull cover off rh lower dash to see if relay is source of noise

good luck~!

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I had this - remove blower fan (3 screws) and what i did was spray silicone lube down onto the shaft. Put it back in - all good... for about 4 weeks.
It certainly confirms what the cause is, but I have yet to devise a longer lasting solution that does not involve a new blower motor

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
it is the a/c blower motor. It will drive you nuts.

it is a very simple job to replace. holden will charge around $290 for a genuine replacement,
Bursons have the same thing for $165.

it is a 10min job to exchange it.

blowermotorstep1.jpg

blowermotor.jpg

madcowbeavis

Not your average cow
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 - 25th Anniversary
*Comes up for air after the holiday period*

Thanks for the detailed responses, I will have a play around with it to determine the problem, and eventually get back to you if I find a long-term fix for the existing unit.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I was quoted $140 at my local holden dealer last week - I think there may be a difference between series 1 and series 2 ??

I tried a used VZ blower motor (pick up free) and it was Worse!
I tried stripping down the vz motor - and could not find a way to silence the noise - I also doubt I could get it back together l-)