Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fantale

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Could you get custom colours or would that get costly? I'd love one the same as my VX (I'll be keeping it when I buy a VF), delpht blue. I've only ever seen one VE in the colour, most are just plain Karma.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Could you get custom colours or would that get costly? I'd love one the same as my VX (I'll be keeping it when I buy a VF), delpht blue. I've only ever seen one VE in the colour, most are just plain Karma.

To do that you'd need to buy the car and get someone to respray it the colour of your choice. Holden don't do 'custom' colours

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
End of the day 'fantale' is the nickname Holden gave the colour. For whatever reason they changed the production colour from the early sample (the demo car above) they do this a lot. I've seen a pale version of ignition orange before and there was very very limited number of kapow blue series 1s and I've even seen hazard yellow series ones just before the series 2 cars were released

That's because they are test colours, they release a few colours first and gauge reactions to it. For example, the colour that is production Fantale was on Cruze's before the VF came out, only 10 of them, sent to dealers far flung to test peoples reactions.

Pre-production Fantale however is beautiful colour and it was implied by Holden that it would make it into production. It's just sad it didn't because really the 2 colours have nothing in Common.

HighViz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SS Redline
Hey, i do realise this thread is very old but when i saw the pic of the "Fantale" VF at the show i wanted to see what the go is!
I have a my14 Fantale SSV Redline, i also have a mate who works as a colour technition for PPG. He told me that originally the "Fantale" orange was suppose to be nearly as bright as the "Spitfire Green" but when holden made it, the colour was to inconsistant to use it in production so it was sent to PPG to make a bright orange that was constistant when painted and they basically had to take out all metallics and turn it to mud so it would cover, and it still covers like **** apparently.....i will find out soon as i am respraying mine (Fantale Orange ofcourse) lol

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Hey, i do realise this thread is very old but when i saw the pic of the "Fantale" VF at the show i wanted to see what the go is!
I have a my14 Fantale SSV Redline, i also have a mate who works as a colour technition for PPG. He told me that originally the "Fantale" orange was suppose to be nearly as bright as the "Spitfire Green" but when holden made it, the colour was to inconsistant to use it in production so it was sent to PPG to make a bright orange that was constistant when painted and they basically had to take out all metallics and turn it to mud so it would cover, and it still covers like **** apparently.....i will find out soon as i am respraying mine (Fantale Orange ofcourse) lol

PPG was the OE paint supplier for VE/VF to Holden.

Holden Design provided paint specs to PPG who then provided all paint samples to Holden Design to try and then approve. Once paint samples were chosen, select cars were painted up "sighter cars" and were driven/given to dealers for public opinion. Some were even sold to the public.

Fantalle was always meant to be flat. All paint samples prior to production were never glossy.

The VF show car was just that a show car. It was painted in house at Holden HQ Port Melbourne (Pre production center). If I recall correctly, to get the depth of that color it had many coats of color and a **** load of clear coats applied. It also had a dark base coat to aid in achieving the depth of that color.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Current holden reds are cleared, so won't fade like they used to (pre- VY2). Most whites and reds are cleared now, except for commercial vehicles.

I agree about the fantale. I saw the promo car at Top Gear festival while I was there. Was definitely custom painted and fairly well finished. Totally different colour to what was released. VFs are full of peel and dust nibs. Worst paint holden has done in a while. I've still ordered one though... Hope it's thick enough to sand...

I noticed on the bootlid on my 2013 ssv wagon there is a bit of dust or crap in the factory paint.... mine is red hot,ive always hated red but its really grown on me.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
PPG was the OE paint supplier for VE/VF to Holden.

Holden Design provided paint specs to PPG who then provided all paint samples to Holden Design to try and then approve. Once paint samples were chosen, select cars were painted up "sighter cars" and were driven/given to dealers for public opinion. Some were even sold to the public.

Fantalle was always meant to be flat. All paint samples prior to production were never glossy.

The VF show car was just that a show car. It was painted in house at Holden HQ Port Melbourne (Pre production center). If I recall correctly, to get the depth of that color it had many coats of color and a **** load of clear coats applied. It also had a dark base coat to aid in achieving the depth of that color.
I think the VF show car you refer to here was a take on Light My Fire (Orange Blast on the Chev SS) rather than Fantale??...or did Holden do a similar thing earlier on with Fantale also?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I think the VF show car you refer to here was a take on Light My Fire (Orange Blast on the Chev SS) rather than Fantale??...or did Holden do a similar thing earlier on with Fantale also?
Couple more pics of the Show Car ...

707xur.jpg

28cd6vt.jpg

This, the 2013 VF Show car I'm referring too.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
This, the 2013 VF Show car I'm referring too.

That's more like LMF than fantale. I'm not a fan of it, LMF is too reminiscent of tiger mica..a colour which looked good for about five minutes. They should have left it in the history books.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
That's more like LMF than fantale. I'm not a fan of it, LMF is too reminiscent of tiger mica..a colour which looked good for about five minutes. They should have left it in the history books.
Correct, that show car was a take on LMF....although not actually LMF.

Each to their own..I was aware of comparisons with tiger mica when making my colour choice but LMF is really far brighter with a much more metallic sparkle in the sun. For me it was a toss up between SOAG & LMF but definitely needed to be one of the new VF2 colours to mark the end of Aussie manufacturing..I’m certainly not disappointed with LMF and dark tint on a wagon....and as has been shown since, choices in new cars these days tend to be limited to white, black and 80 shades of grey.