Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fast Internet?

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Yeah, work is good... :D

5685184069.png

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
I'm on Telstra's FTTH and get either 30 or 100 mbps down. I opt to save the $20 a month and stick with 30 mbps down. I limit my downloads to 1Mb/sec anyway so they're not noticeable. Can still stream and browse all with awesome speeds.

what's the point in NBN when it's as fast as existing cable. LNP totally ruined this country's internet and threw away billions in the process.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
what's the point in NBN when it's as fast as existing cable. LNP totally ruined this country's internet and threw away billions in the process.

It's funny that my brother got Cable internet about 12 years ago that had a 30mbps connection. Yet this is our awesome! fantastic! amazing! for the future! NBN program. Thanks LNP you idiots.

Holdenman

Modified
Reaction score
Website
www.holden.itgo.com
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0
I feel for you, and a lot of the problem must be local connections as here are my tests from Christchurch 8:20am NZ Local time
Brisbane 76/84 (Voda) 58 ping
Sydney 57/80 (Telstra) 156 ping
Melbourne 47/81 (Telstra) 147 ping

It was the same here in NZ, anyone can upgrade core components or shape traffic without you knowing but when they decided to deliver "fibre to the door" (actuallt living room), that was where it became a game changer.

Last edited:

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory

My post had nothing to do with the NBN! I am not on NBN. I am on something MUCH better - FTTH. That's FIBRE TO THE HOME!

However regarding the NBN, there is nothing wrong with the current model. While I have FTTH, I am also happy to admit that it's not necessary. Spending $50 billion to deliver a network thats technology would be out of date before the 15 year rollout was finished was simply a ridiculous undertaking. Improving the network to nodes makes far more sense. Is cheaper to do, cheaper to maintain and cheaper to upgrade.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Improving the network to nodes makes far more sense. Is cheaper to do, cheaper to maintain and cheaper to upgrade.

Isn't that what the NBN is these days? Running Fibre to the Node (FTTN).Where as initially it was Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) which imo was a much better future-proof plan.

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Yes - the NBN is currently FTTN. Which is perfectly adequate (speeds of up to 1gbps are achievable from node to premises) and easier to upgrade. FTTP/FTTH same thing. :D

The problem is too many people focus on "what's the absolutely best technology" rather than "what's the best solution in terms or real world use". It's about thinking smarter. Something the current government is doing regarding the NBN. Ultimately, the future for the typical residential consumer is wireless. I already get 120mbps on my mobile phone! Better than the FTTP/FTTH I have at home.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My post had nothing to do with the NBN! I am not on NBN. I am on something MUCH better - FTTH. That's FIBRE TO THE HOME!

However regarding the NBN, there is nothing wrong with the current model. While I have FTTH, I am also happy to admit that it's not necessary. Spending $50 billion to deliver a network thats technology would be out of date before the 15 year rollout was finished was simply a ridiculous undertaking. Improving the network to nodes makes far more sense. Is cheaper to do, cheaper to maintain and cheaper to upgrade.

I disagree. FTTH is a much better system. Fibre technology is constantly improving, and as long as the fibre is laid, a simple upgrade of the sending and receiving points will result in an upgrade of speed. FTTN still relies on antiqued copper cables and hardware, while is already at End Of Life. So later you have to go back and rip up all the copper, change all the hardware to support fibre only, and relay everything.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
No matter what ALL the copper will degrade, it's completely inevitable and replacing it will only become more expensive as time drags on. At over 1000 times the bandwidth and 100 times the distance glass makes a solid replacement foundation from now into the foreseeable future, we've learned it's lifespan is actually pretty decent possibly longer than already speculated. As transmitter and receiver technology continues to improve the fibre will be more than capable of dealing with it. Almost every year there seems to be a 'breakthrough', I think the current peak sits somewhere above the 1 terabit range.

My first hand experience with FTTN is ****, there's oodles of it here in Canberra thanks to TransACT taking on Telstra back in the day. As more in my neighborhood join up the congestion gets worse and the story is the same across numerous other suburbs. 90mb download speed and I can barely stream YouTube on a Sunday night, my previous ADSL2 did better.

Short story; it seems we're back to square one just with a new name.... when you're a tax payer who works in said industry it's hard not to be a little peeved at our overlords mismanagement of the whole affair.