Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fast Internet?

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
Yes - the NBN is currently FTTN. Which is perfectly adequate (speeds of up to 1gbps are achievable from node to premises) and easier to upgrade. FTTP/FTTH same thing. :D

The problem is too many people focus on "what's the absolutely best technology" rather than "what's the best solution in terms or real world use". It's about thinking smarter. Something the current government is doing regarding the NBN. Ultimately, the future for the typical residential consumer is wireless. I already get 120mbps on my mobile phone! Better than the FTTP/FTTH I have at home.

ultimately as in 30 years or 60 if the LNP are in power? currently if you get a few people together the mobile network craps itself, good luck trying to move the population's primary usage to that. not to mention ping and the fact that fixed wireless NBN is 25mbit, nowhere near your "120mbit". plus if FTTN is so good how come your mobile has better internet.
in case you haven't noticed, the copper network needs replacing, the government is throwing billions of good money after bad

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
WTF? I have FTTH, yes FTTH. 100Mbps! My Telstra mobile data speeds are FASTER! And not only that, 5G is already in the pipeline and will be exponentially faster again.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
For me it's not about speed. Once I can watch youtube videos/netflix etc without buffering at HD quality, which is only about 40/50Mbs, after that it's all about latency and consistency. Wireless can't keep up with consistency at this point vs wired

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
It's getting better. However 3g/4g/5g/6g/xg/9g/12456g Whatever they want to call it next needs to also have prices that are aligned. I am paying $50 for 6gb of data. Can be the quickest thing in the world and consistent as all hell, but that is not a pricing frame I will agree too.

But like most things, as the technology gets developed/used it gets cheaper and cheaper.

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
But like most things, as the technology gets developed/used it gets cheaper and cheaper.

Friends of mine bought a 50 inch plasma for nearly $20,000!!! Technology gets a LOT L O T cheaper over time. As well as getting a whole lot better at the same pace.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
WTF? I have FTTH, yes FTTH. 100Mbps! My Telstra mobile data speeds are FASTER! And not only that, 5G is already in the pipeline and will be exponentially faster again.

yep, and FTTN is slower than FTTH, you said so yourself

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
I know. Sorry I'm confused what you're arguing about lol

Well you said FTTN is the best solution in terms of real world use but then you said your mobile is faster than ftth so if fttn is slower than wireless, ftth and cable what's the point? Who would want that.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Don't worry, Sheldon was once Raj and Raj was a clown who never let the facts get in the way of a good conflict. FTTH is waaaay faster than any current wireless tech by a long shot and will likely continue accelerating in line with the current difference (43Tb/s vs. 1Gb/s). Raj among others just dont pay the 6 figures per year to gain the 100Gb/s throughput fiber could deliver.

We have a gun to our heads with the telco/ISP industries and a bunch of toothless regulatory bodies in this country, that is the actual problem, not the tech. Mobile data is very important don't get me wrong but much like solar or wind energy it can only be supplemental to the world we've created.