Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FATSSV - Charged, cammed, bagged and "stanced"

Discussion in 'VE - WM' started by turbodragon, Aug 11, 2014.

1. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V

No progress shots unfortunately, but if you flick through the thread, there's a few front end pics which might be able to help you out?

2. vylover

vylover Member

Members Ride:
    VS Manual Ute
    I Swear I saw a ss EXACTLY!!!! like this one turn right onto victoria Rd (Main road in Sydney NSW) hit a medium strip and then pull over raise the car up and check all around if anything was broken and ****... Car looked so much like your's I actually thought it was you until i saw vic on the number plate's lol...

3. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    Hahaha nah, sorry definitely wasn't me. Kinda shattered to think there's someone else out there like me LOL

4. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    LOL... *median*

5. vylover

vylover Member

Members Ride:
    VS Manual Ute
    Hahaha sorry english isn't that good lol :) Don't worry mate! Very hard to have a car that no one else has... Just think positively and think someone must love your design soo much they had to do it them self's ;)

6. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    Haha yeah, I've noticed there's a few VEs sporting the BBS LM reps ever since I got myself a set. Before I got my set, the only colour availble with the LM reps was matte black.
    But ever since I got my set in brushed spokes with polished lip, there's a few getting around with it now.

Small-ish update, I'm contemplating selling my Harrop supercharger setup and looking at going twin turbo. Won't happen until I find a buyer for my blower so if anyone is interested in a stealth looking supercharger that's not the common Maggie or HVT or Heartbeat, let me know! :D

7. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    No photos to post BUT the blower is sold and coming off in a couple of weeks, and TT will be happening at the same time. Meeting with mechanic/tuner this arvo to have a sit down and determine turbo choices, wastegates etc. :D

8. SnowDoggyDogg

SnowDoggyDogg 2ltr? = Only milk & juice

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS
    Turbs,
    What was the cost for the scoop to be moulded to the bonnet?
    I'm trying to find someone on the Gold Coast Brissy area and want a ballpark estimate of how much a quality job like yours should be costing me.
    Send us a PM if you want to keep it discrete but I've got to say it looks darn good and the guys who did should get some props in the forum for their work.
    Cheers,
    Snowy

9. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    This is true, and is worth looking into for VE bonnet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

According to the GM literature it gives measurable improvement in thermodynamics, drag coefficient, and handling. Underneath there is an OEM water / rain drip tray. There is quite a bit of info about this (2014 ZL1 heat exchanger) fitted to 2010 (flat SS) bonnet here.

Yeah me too, but for the ZL1 heat extractor.

monstar likes this.
  10. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:

I got it done down here in VIC by a mob called Centro Autobody. They send the bonnet and scoop away to be moulded (can't remember the name of the guy they used, but he's supposedly very good with moulding). Moulding and curing time is about a 3-4 week turnaround, and painted and fitted was another week.

Price wise, not including new bonnet, scoop or pins was ~$1100 if I remember correctly. Very happy with the finished product and cannot fault it, so props to the boys at Centro.

11. kiwicon

kiwicon Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS V8 Manual
    did you get to keep the mould...

12. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:

The scoop was purchased separately and was moulded onto a steel bonnet if that's what you mean?

13. kiwicon

kiwicon Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS V8 Manual
    you said, Price wise, not including new bonnet, scoop or pins was ~$1100 ... so I presumed they took your old bonnet, put the scoop on it, then moulded the entire thing... then made you a new bonnet from the said mould

14. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    No, I purchased a new bonnet and the scoop and they moulded the scoop onto the new bonnet so it was seamless. In other words, the scoop wasn't stuck on top of the bonnet like the walky scoop was.

15. SnowDoggyDogg

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS
    Thanks for the info mate, I love the moulded look as opposed to the stuck on... it just looks the tits when it's seamless.
    I think I've got to buy another bonnet to give to the body shop because I can't take the family car offline for close to a month. Still the quality of the job is what counts and I can't rush that.

16. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    UPDATE: Car went into the mechanics/tuner yesterday morning to begin taking the blower off and start fabbing and installing the twin turbo setup.

PLOT TWIST: Car is also getting converted from the standard auto 6-speed to a 6-speed manual at the same time as the TT.

Got a few pics of the parts I picked up in the past week. Tuner/mechanic has got the rest such as Turbosmart 40mm external wastegates, intercooler, BOV etc.

Ripshift. Everyone says a ripshift is the bees kness in a manual commo, so figured I might as well get one so that it can get dropped in at the same timed as the box going in:

[​IMG]

Turbosmart E-Boost Street. Originally had my heart set on the E-Boost 2 as I was wrapt with the series 1 E-Boost in my R33, but the more I read into it, the more I noticed that alot of the features I wasn't going to use. So it made sense to go the Street as it had eveyrhting I wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Twin Garrett GT3076Rs. 0.82 exhaust housings with V-band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I also went on a memorial crusie for a very close mate of mine that passed away recently. Cheers to AL Photography for the pics! Keen to get a photoshoot done with him as soon as I get my car back :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jono191 likes this.
  17. SnowDoggyDogg

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS
    Sorry to hear about your mate. Hopefully it was a nice way to remember him.
    Your go fast bits and mods are beginning to pile up. Charger to a turbo and auto to manual.
    I have a feeling you're going to make a Coupe 60 out of it soon before it becomes amphibious!
    Anyway, love following this thread as its great a great escape from the every day. Thanks for dreaming big for the rest of us.

18. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    Thanks mate, the cruise was by far the best I've been on and many said the same thing. No politics, no bullshit, just doing what my mate loved best: cruising.

Hahaha well they say dreams are free. I say otherwise.

19. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    Not a huge amount to report on. Manual conversion done, bar a few niggly bits with the wiring loom and pedal box. Fabrication of turbo side of things under way so fingers crossed, she's all turn key and ready by next week.

Exhaust manifolds fabbed up by MPW, using 4-1 collectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. turbodragon

turbodragon Member

Members Ride:
    Popped down to MPW last night to have a bit of gander at progress. Everything on track and looks exactly how I envisioned it, so cheers to Adam and the boys there for getting it how I want. Fingers crossed she's all done either later this week or early next week.

Turbos all mounted up and good to go. Just need oil/water lines and external gates to be chucked in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bar and plate 'cooler sitting somwhere behind the front bar. Stealth, just how I like it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the cold side intercooler piping that leads to the throttle body going through the gutted airbox

[​IMG]

And this is how she looks under the bonnet. Still need to get the radiator cover panel and change the blue silicone to black.
    [​IMG]