Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FATSSV - Charged, cammed, bagged and "stanced"

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
FATSSV - *Now TWIN TURBO and M6!!* Charged, cammed, bagged and "stanced"

Hey, I've been meaning to do one of these build threads for the past couple of years but haven't gotten around to it till about now, so here we go...... also, if you completely hate jap imports, you best skip the first half as that's where my story starts hahaha

Brought the car back in 2012 I think (could be 2011, can't remember), stock as a rock as a daily for when I used to have my R33 GTS-t. Enjoyed both of the cars for about a year and a half before deciding to sell the R33, as I would only have the chance to take it out a few weekends a month and since it was costing me $2k in insurance and $700 in rego, it didn't make financial sense to keep the R33 in the garage for 98% of the year.

For anyone interested, here are a few pics of the ol' R33:

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

And even though old, one of my fave pics of when the two were together:

IMG_1282.jpg

Anyway, here's what most people are here for. The SS-V was your basic run-of-the mill 6L L98, with the A6 transmission. Enjoyed it stock for all of 3-months before I decided it didn't sound enough like a V8, so on went a 3" catback exhaust with Varex mufflers and an Airhammer intake.....

IMG_0745.jpg

Then came a new set of wheels. Then came the king springs (SSL). Then came the coilovers. Then came the front+rear airbag suspension. Then came another set of new wheels. Then came the cam. Then came the supercharger. And here we are today!

Mechanical:
- Harrop 2300 Stealth Force Supercharger running 10psi via. smaller pulley
- VCM-5 228/232 114LSA camshaft
- Dual valve springs, retainers, lifters etc.
- Bosch 1150cc injectors
- Harrop ZL-1 fuel pump
- 1 7/8 4-1 extractors
- 100-cell hi-flow cats
- Twin 3" catback w/ Varex mufflers
- 3.45 LSD

Power: 400rwkw @ 10psi

Suspension:
- Air Ride front airbag struts
- Shockwave rear airbag struts
- Twin Viar compressors
- 8-gallon tank
- Dakota Digital Electronic Ride Height ECU w/ individual bag control
- AirRide Tech. Red Valves

Brakes:
- RDA grooved and dimpled rotors F+R
- QFM pads

Transmission:
- Stock + tune and calibration

Interior:
- Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure gauges
- OBDII scanner/gauge
- Carbon-wrapped trims

Exterior:
- 20" BBS LM reps (staggered)
- Walkinshaw bonnet scoop
- Senator rear bobtail spoiler
- Front bar wrapped

Thanks to Eye Candy for a couple of the pics:

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

Got a few more pics with the old gloss black G8 wheels but don't want to bore everyone with pics overload haha

Cheers.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Nice ride.
I`m very impressed with the wheels and how they sit from the back pic.
Looks really good.
It looks FAT. :beer chug:

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
I think technically, that is referred to as PHAT. :D
That thing looks tough as hell when it is just sitting on it's guts like that! Love the black sections on the front bar with that grille, love the wheels, love the rear camber, just love it mate! What size are those wheels btw?
Also, can we get some interior shots? I believe I see some trick looking gauges mounted up top there?

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
Tucking rim on a ve, bloody legend. nice man.
I imagine some guard mods were required for that piece of awesome. I've only got tyre tuck(and only at the back) and I had to grind a bit of meat out of front and rear bumper mounts to alleviate the scrubbing. It still scrubs on big bumps.

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice ride.
I`m very impressed with the wheels and how they sit from the back pic.
Looks really good.

Thanks mate, the rears definitely get a bit of attention. I'm still playing around with the fronts to get them exact like the rears but the biggest hurdle is the front wheels need to turn and at the moment, they catch on the joint between the guards and front bar :(

I think technically, that is referred to as PHAT. :D
That thing looks tough as hell when it is just sitting on it's guts like that! Love the black sections on the front bar with that grille, love the wheels, love the rear camber, just love it mate! What size are those wheels btw?
Also, can we get some interior shots? I believe I see some trick looking gauges mounted up top there?

Hahaha thanks mate, built this car to my liking so I'm all the more stoked that other people enjoy it as much as I do :)

Fronts are 20x8.5" and rears are 20x10" and I'll get some interior shots tomorrow.

Tucking rim on a ve, bloody legend. nice man.

:beer chug:

I imagine some guard mods were required for that piece of awesome. I've only got tyre tuck(and only at the back) and I had to grind a bit of meat out of front and rear bumper mounts to alleviate the scrubbing. It still scrubs on big bumps.

Yeah, hand to grind back and relocate the rear bumper bracket but also the fronts as well. Guards are rolled as far as I could go all round, as well as a minor pumping of guards and there is less than 1mm of clearance at the back between rim and guard. I'll take a pic of a piece of paper wedged between the rim and guard tomorrow lol

Ok yip i'm pressed by both cars. I'm a sucker for a good V8 but that R33 is really nice too. Do you miss the turbo? Actually.....what are the main differences between the turbo and supercharger as far as drivability goes?

Thanks buddy, yeah I definitely miss the turbo. Huge adrenaline rush driving the 33. On E85, it made a fraction under 350rwkw @ 25psi and all wrapped up in a 1300kg package.

To be honest, I honestly think the SS currently and the R33 were pretty on par in terms of performance. The R33 definitely handled better and was more go-karty whilst the SS is more "floaty", even when I had the coilovers in it. Still handles brilliantly, but just not as knife-edged as the R33.

In terms of straight line driving, they're both completely different to drive and need a different driving style to make the most of it. The R33 was quite blah below 3000rpm but come ~3500rpm, it throws you back into the seat like nothing else. You find yourself rowing the gears constantly to stay in the "sweet spot", but do it right, and the G-force acceleration is brutal.

With the SS, it's on from just about any rpm. I can doddle along using the active-select and regardless of gear, can put my foot down with confidence knowing I won't be caught in the wrong gear where even a push-bike will sail past me (like in the 33). Zero lag and very snappy. Doesn't have the same g-force thrill as the R33, but still a very quick car :)

TL;DR - R33 was more like a cheetah (nimble, flickable and fast in its own right), whereas the SS is more like a silverback gorilla (powerful yet smooth).

Benzito

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SSV Ute
IMG_2754.jpg

Man, I gotta get 10" wide wheels for the back of my ride. I just keep staring at that photo. :bow:
I've got 22x8.5", with all the guards fully rolled back on themselves. But I don't know what offset my wheels are, they were on the ute when I bought it.
Time to look at inner guard clearance and offsets me thinks. You're beautiful machine has motivated me to go fatter. :D

454 senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
hsv ve e1 senator
Your car looks great , have you had any probs with your varex?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_2754.jpg

Man, I gotta get 10" wide wheels for the back of my ride. I just keep staring at that photo. :bow:
I've got 22x8.5", with all the guards fully rolled back on themselves. But I don't know what offset my wheels are, they were on the ute when I bought it.
Time to look at inner guard clearance and offsets me thinks. You're beautiful machine has motivated me to go fatter. :D

Hahaha thanks mate, definetly get some 10s under the rear. You won't regret it! Just make sure you do the research on offsets and you'll be sweet :beer chug:

Your car looks great , have you had any probs with your varex?

Thanks bud, it's been pretty problem free so far, but it has blown a couple of fuses to date. Not sure why, but I have a feeling it happens when I hold the button to open/close for too long.