Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault codes/speedo/indicators issue

Smactier

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VE Ute
Hi guys,
New to the forum.
I own a 2010 SS VE ute and yesterday all of a sudden every single fault code jumped up on my dash cluster. I noticed today the indicators, Speedo, lights weren’t working too.
I know for a fact the battery isn’t the best but it still starts up every time. The dash shows the battery at 11.8v, but a multimeter at the battery read 15v. I tried disconnecting the ABS module as a few people have said that might be the issue otherwise what should be my next step? A new battery can clear some faults I’ve read, but when conmected to a scanner it wouldn’t even pickup ABS or Airbag.

cheers in advance,
Smac

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Symptoms of a tired alternator I would say.
At a guess [being a 2010 VE] its done 200,000+ k's ?, and original Alternator [that you know of ?]
A good heart of a VE is -
  1. Good Battery [12+ volts]
  2. Good Alternator [14.4 +/- 2v when idling]
  3. Good connections [Loom Plugs & Earths]
For what its worth, and if you can afford it, Buy a new Alternator, or re-conditioned one [with a warranty].
Because if you purchase a S/hand one, you maybe going down the same path in a few months.
Even worse, stuck on the side of the road at the most inconvenient time.

Last edited:

Smactier

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VE Ute
Symptoms of a tired alternator I would say.
At a guess [being a 2010 VE] its done 200,000+ k's ?, and original Alternator [that you know of ?]
A good heart of a VE is -
  1. Good Battery [12+ volts]
  2. Good Alternator [14.4 +/- 2v when idling]
  3. Good connections [Loom Plugs & Earths]
For what its worth, and if you can afford it, Buy a new Alternator, or re-conditioned one [with a warranty].
Because if you purchase a S/hand one, you maybe going down the same path in a few months.
Even worse, stuck on the side of the road at the most inconvenient time.

Smactier

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VE Ute
Hey mate,
The utes done 140k
Just got a brand new battery today but hasn’t changed anything, more dash lights seem to be disappearing. A few people have said the alternator may be the issue, so that’s my next step. Fingers crossed.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hey mate,
The utes done 140k
Just got a brand new battery today but hasn’t changed anything, more dash lights seem to be disappearing. A few people have said the alternator may be the issue, so that’s my next step. Fingers crossed.

That's not to much really, but I had a friend with a May 2009 L76 that had 135,00 k/m's on the clock, immaculate condition, and he had the very same thing happen as you are having a problem with,
And its slowly started dying over a few days, and then it just stopped on the way to the airport, so he ended up missing the plane he was booked on, and cost him more to get on the next one, so it wasn't a cheap exercise in the long term.
So he got it towed home, as there was a family member their to see it get delivered, and accept the keys,
and he continued to the Airport.
I had a look at it the next day, and it was the Alternator,
Found a new one on ebay in hoppers crossing, picked it up, installed it, charged the battery up over night,
and the rest is history.