Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fault codes

timboco

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr aclaim
can anyone tell me how to access and read the fault codes in a 89 vn 3.8
without a scan tool.
thanks

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
np tell us wat u come up with have fun

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I was just doing this the other day, I was wondering, Has anyone ever thought of wiring up a switch to the pins on the ALDL plug, and have the switch somewhere on your dash. That way you could check fault codes with the flick of a switch :thumbsup:
I'm thinking of doing this and want to hear your opinions on it

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
if you were going to do that id sugest putting the switch in the glove box in that little hole next to or for the boot release.
you still have to take out the engine fuseabil link to clear them

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=36437
thats my fault code site the v8 is basicly the same as v6

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
xcop5l said:
if you were going to do that id sugest putting the switch in the glove box in that little hole next to or for the boot release.
you still have to take out the engine fuseabil link to clear them

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=36437
thats my fault code site the v8 is basicly the same as v6

Yeah that would be a good spot to put it. Why would I have to reset the ECU, it will just record the same code next time i drive it unless it develops an error, so why bother clearing it?

It would be good to have to easily check if all the sensors are good every now and again, and to clarify things like the CAS if it wont start etc

Azzfox, I dont think putting a switch on the main engine fusible link would be very practical or possible for that matter.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
vn6pwr said:
Azzfox, I dont think putting a switch on the main engine fusible link would be very practical or possible for that matter.

i agree with you on that switch.its not practical but its possible but y bother?

i still would recomend removing the engine fuse after every test because some sensors have random "hick ups" causing them to log a code. removing the fuse clears these codes if they come bac when you do your next test then you have cause to replace the faulty sensor.

seveprim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Um the engine faults will clear automatically after 20 succesful restarts of car so ya can be lazy and wait 20 starts after ya fix the problem ... Ps it keeps the faults of the ones ya havent fixed ... so if ya mutiple faults it is handy ie clears only the repaired faults