Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault ideas

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Hey,

I have a couple of faults with my VE that I've asked a few mechanically minded friends and my mechanic what they'd be and they're not sure without dismantling the car. Since we all have the same car on here, I thought maybe someone has had it before.

The first fault is that I can hear a slight knocking from the rear right at low speed (below 10km/k or so), at higher speed the road noise and exhaust make it hard to hear if it's still there. I can also hear it when going from moving forwards to backwards and over rough terrain. The general thought is the Pedders Pedders EP1169 urethane crossmember bush is moving. Another said exhaust knock but it happens at any temperature and sometimes doesn't happen at all. A mate and my mechanic both pulled the wheel, brakes and hub off to see if anything was lose but couldn't find anything.

The second fault is when changing the transmission from D -> N -> R and vice versa there is quite a loud clunk from under the car. My mechanic had a quick look and said nothing was loose with the transmission but didn't look too far into it.

Any ideas on these faults?

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Any play in the diff??
Universals maybe?

Flogged out or split bush would/should be easy to spot..

I'm thinking driveline from tailshaft back would be worth a look...

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The diff seemed ok when my mate and I had the car up, but when turning a wheel back and forward you could hear the second fault (clunk up near transmission/tailshaft).

The bush thing (not sure if you looked at the link) is a urethane bush that sits into a rubber bush, so they thought there might be some movement in it.

Another quick question, unrelated to the other issues... After my MAFless tune the auto seems to get confused sometimes. When taking off cold, it will hold first for much longer than before the tune and much longer than when it's warm. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th changes are sometimes quiet jerky. All changes are not smooth like before the MAFless tune, but a mate said the transmission is connected to the MAF somehow so going MAFless will affect the transmission like that. Also, sometimes when accelerating hard up to speed and and backing off at the desired speed (say 100km/h), the transmission will sit at high revs in say 3rd rather than changing up to 4th, 5th then 6th. I will have to put it in manual mode to change up or wait what seems like about 30 seconds for it to realise it needs to change itself. This is in normal mode, not sports mode.

Last edited:

ss_ute_boi

beer-arch
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ss-v commodore
my ve ss had a rattle that i couldnt place sounded like exhaust sheild or something light but was quite loud at low speeds ,holden couldnt find it eventually a friend narrowed it down to being some small spring somewhere in wheel hub that had dislodged and was rattling around but if you've had wheel hub apart guessing its something else,maybe worth alook if problem stays unsolved mate.. my first ve was a auto you can get the gears tightend up abit with a tune ,the place that did the 1st tune may be able to adjust them for a smoother ride..

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I had the same knock after i changed my diff. Turned out to be one of the main bolts that hold the ass end in the car. We put it over a pit and i sat in the car with my brother and mate under it and i just went from drive to reverse etc and they evenually found it, tightened it a fraction (1/4 of a turn at best) and it fixed it straight away. Were you present when they changed your diff?
Mabye they undid the same bolt.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
No, I wasn't present. A mechanic that had never done it before changed it. I'll check it out. Thanks :)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Spoke to another mechanic and put the car up on a hoist. He said the rear right noise is a bush but it's too hard to tell which one yet as none of them look damaged. The other noise is the torque converter engaging. He said the noise is fairly normal... But it wasn't there when I got the car so I don't think it is normal.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I used to have a rear end clunk, it would happend driving up driveways, round abouts etc, anytime there was loading on either side of the car. What is was the rear swaybar link pins were loose where they mount to the car. The tappered bolt that holds them to the car kept moving in and out of place. About 3 or 4 turns and its been good ever since.

The clunking noise is quite loud from within the car and can sometimes sound like its coming from the front.

What I have bee told is that because they have a tappering of the main bolt, they can not be reseated properly when changing suspension, doing diff work (if you remove the rear sway bar). Its pretty easy to tighten the bolts yourself, but easier when the cars in on a hoist.

Cheers
Phil