Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

faults and maintenance

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Lads I am in a big horrible situation right now, just finished doing the valley gaskets, and the car is struggling to run and not firing all cylinders, I put a scope down the intake to have a look around there no rags or bolts in there, no sign of damage, all valves are fine, but the motor is knocking and pinging, bearly idles, need throttle to start. As a note I checked the rockers to see if they are still operating which they are, the coils are sparking, fuel is getting to the rail (have not check injectors yet), but the strangest thing is there are no error codes popping up. Another thing to add when the car is running on the beats it nearly stalls out the interior light will flicker.
Electrical issue? Make sure the negative terminal on the battery is ok etc. Might need to have a mechanic or auto elec (mechanic first) to check it out...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are all your vac lines connected? This is a common mistake.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Plus one for the vacuum lines. Especially the one under the throttle body (make sure it's connected both ends) and the little one at the back of the plenum that feeds the heater vacuum operated controls. Although that one doesn't usually cause as bad symptoms as you have.
Failing that, if it was me, I'd be going over what I have done. Step by step. plug leads on the right cylinders? Injector connectors on the right injectors?
Anything you might have leaned on when working on the engine? No chance of a massive vacuum leak from a misplaced LIM gasket?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The issue I had when I replace the LIM gasket was, the leads failed...Whilst it didn't run as bad as yours, it still ran like a bucket...

When you have it running, spray some WD40, CRC or even flyspray around every hose, bolt to valley cover, valley cover to head point and see if the motor idles up....This might pin point your issue

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
thanks for all the replies, me being not the brightest somehow left a rag in the intake, wish I could send a vid of my fishing it out of my spark plug hole, but here is the photo of the rag
0B33D26A-676A-437E-B5FC-A929407C1DC8.jpeg

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Words do not explain how happy I am right now just started her up and she runs just like it came out of the show room :D

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Hey lads, just wondering if there are any common faults or maintenance requirements with high mileage cars that I should look into, got a 97 VS Ute with the 3.8 ecotec the kms are unknown the odm stoped working on 223,XXX h
compression ring wear from high mileage, do a cheap comp test to be sure to be sure
and lets not mention bearing wear or low oil pressure in case worn out, so we wont mention the important bits.

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
compression ring wear from high mileage, do a cheap comp test to be sure to be sure
and lets not mention bearing wear or low oil pressure in case worn out, so we wont mention the important bits.
Did a compression test today and all 6 cylinders are around 150

Reactions: Lex