Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

faults and maintenance

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Been awhile since I have had issues but I have noticed two things recently
1. My LSD diff doesn’t feel as tight as it should be, and it will sometimes drop a wheel or chatter the left side wheel. What would be the course is tbat I do know it’s leaking some oil and I am about to fix that and also open up the diff to see what ot looks like anything to look out for?
2. My auto also feels odd at times and seems to get hotter more often and ply up, the fluid has only been in their for 7months and already going brown, sometimes it’s a nice quick shift others it kinda slips in, when I select it into let’s say 3rd to not roll down a hill as quick it use to hold 3rd now it doesn’t just rolls down like it’s in neutral (does it in all gears) when I do select a lower gear if I accelerate it sounds like it spools up then drops into the gear. So was thinking of getting a old trans off my mate which came out of his vx or vt and send that to get rebuilt, anyone know if it’s a stright bolt in??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Highly likely the LSD is worn out. You can get the cones machined and shimmed. This will make it tight again. In terms of getting a trans built, you should speak to your trans tech and see what he says. There are a few different 4L60E's and it's not always just a matter of grabbing one from another model. Your trans tech may say he wants to rebuild the one you have to ensure compatibility.

An external trans cooler, additional to the rad cooler is pretty much a must if you don't already have one.

Reactions: Lex

Lachlan3491

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
What would be the coast for the diff to me reshimmed, and was thinking about just rebuild my trans it’s just that the Ute is my main car and need it so I don’t want it off the road for a long period of time

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cost me about $1000 to remove, rebuild and refit my old diff. That included bearings and one wheel bearing kit. You will probably have to get the bearings replaced as pretty much no builder will not install a bearing kit if repairing an LSD. It's only 2 days to rebuild a trans and about a day to remove and refit. Well actually less than that in hours but if its booked in they should knock the entire job over in 3-4 days.