Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty drive axle/shaft

Have you had better experience with:

• Aftermarket drive shafts (brand new)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Refurbished genuine shafts

• Genuine only

• Total voters

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Hi guys,

Recently I replaced both drive axles with aftermarket (GSP). The original one's had 191k kms on them and were a bit loose...

After 60km of driving (not 60,000) one of these new ones (or both) have started to click/clunk...

Has anyone had a similar experience? I just think it is an absolute joke.

Can you please comment with good experiences ie aftermaket shafts or refurbed etc. Not sure which way I should go next but definitely trying to avoid genuine price...

Thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Take em back?

Can you not replace the C.V's on the original axles?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’ve installed refurbished front wheel drive shafts before and they were crap as they started to click after about 12 months. They were cheaper than the other local places but had great warranty. Sadly the supplier phoenixed two doors down and wouldn’t honour the warranty - prick really. Went to the more expensive refurbished driveshaft place and they were ok. Also pulled a genuine shaft from a u-pick type wreckers and found that to be ok.

The think with refurbished or remanufactured shafts is that you really don’t know the company checks the shafts and how well they do their work.Back when, many FWD shaft refurbished s simply cleaned then, looked at the bearing surfaces and repacked them with grease and installed new boots. Not what I’d call remanufactured so guess you get what you pay for.

But the problem is you’ve not included specific details which makes it difficult to advise.

If you paid someone to do the work, go back and get them to fix it at their cost.

If you did the install yourself, sadly the shaft seller will blame workmanship. If you bought the aftermarket shaft and provided it to a workshop for them to install, they will blame the shaft. In either case, something something, rock and hard place :oops:

Sorry I couldn’t be more constructive o_O

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Take em back?

Can you not replace the C.V's on the original axles?
I plan to take them back.

I guess replacing the cvs is what a refurber would do? Would you recommend trying this yourself?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I've used Repco axles in the past with great results to get me back on the road. Then reconditioned my originals, with new CVs as spares when needed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you stick with gen components there shouldn't be an issue. I don't have IRS but I had my shaft built with aftermarket parts and it buggard itself within a few months. Had another shaft rebuilt using gen parts and it's been good close to two years and still going great..

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I put cheap as chips suzukisuper items in back of my axle tramping m6 sv8..had low expectations but worked well after removing worn out originals although must admit they looked a tad different & slightly harder to fit back in.