Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty fuel reading *help

dean_jely

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec
Ive got a problem with the reading of how much fuel and how many km's left.
Just today my and my brother went to the beach and it was reading abit on the red spot on the fuel gauge, and saying 60km's left. When we were finished we came back to the car and when i started it, the gauge was sitting above the red spot on the gauge and said we had 80kms left. We get down the road, bout 5 mins and the car runs out of fuel. Luckily my dad wasnt far and came with petrol.
So im woundering if anyone can help me with my problem, oh btw the car has a HSV cluster aswell if that has ne part to do with it.

kozij

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
same thing is happening to me aswell in vy, once i put in $20 petrol from empty and was saying 3/4 full, last night i filled up to half, and by the end of the night it had risen to 3/4. im sick of it. i also have hsv cluster. thanks

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
if the cluster hasnt been programmed correctly the guage will read badly (worse than the normal errors), you need to get it looked at with a tech2 & someone who knows whats going on to make sure its correct.

Rob

steve9119

steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
HD VK VY
same thing happened to me yesterday. the fuel gauge was at about 1/4 and the trip computer said 120 km left to go, then i run out of fuel.

i havent had the car long enough to get to know how empty is empty, so this came as a bit of a surprise....

also noticed that when the tank is full, the fuel gauge needle is showing slightly above the "full" line

i better read up on fuel guage calibration....

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
hey everyone, i had similar problems in my vy ss, didin't run out of fuel, but the gauge would read near empty and i'd put fuel in and it would take less fuel than what the gauge was saying i had left, i took it to holden and they checked it out then recalibrated the fuel sender unit with there tech2, ment to be a big problem on the vy's, now it reads perfect, the fuel light comes on when theres 50km till empty and there's that same amount of fuel left for 50km's, where as b4 it would say 50km's to empty and bring the fuel light on and i still have between half and quater of a tank left, but now its all good.

they said if it happens again will require a new cluster, but has been good to me sofar after the calibration.