Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty LCD Screen - VE Berlina

turbocorty

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss
hi Scott,

when you say it doesn't come on - do you mean the screen is off but the sound is ok or is the red security light still flashing?

cheers

ScottyC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi guys, thanks for all the response. Turbocorty, the screen is "on" ie the backlight is on but none of the info is there. All the buttons still seem to work, the radio is on but just no data on the screen. We've just taken it back again, and they said they'd have a look but again they just say they couldn't find a problem. Admittedly once every 10 times is an estimate, it's not exactly that but I'd expect that if we started/stopped the car 20 times, you'd see the fault. I'd just have thought that if it is a known possible fault, and that if the owner had reported it, they'd do what it takes to rectify it. I'll have the camera on hand for next time it happens and will mention the campaign number.

Cheers all!

Scott

ScottyC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sorry, forgot to add that we did ask if we could start/stop the car until the fault occurred - my wife had to take the car in on this occasion - she was told that they didn't have time but they knew what to look for. Per my last post, they said they couldn't find anything wrong.... I've got 'til october when the warranty runs out so will keep taking it back. Only problem is that the last two times they've had it for warranty repair, they've kept it for two days and then required it back a week later to install the replacement parts - a little annoying logistically as they don't offer a courtesy car or the like. This is the only dealer I've used - I won't name names but has anyones experience with holden been any better?

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Scotty,

My experience has been the same across 3 dealers. Same response from them all. "can't fault it" - i.e., code for an intermittent fault that they are not interested in further troubleshooting.

ScottyC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So it's been back again and we're now within 3000KM of the 100K warranty cutoff - again they've not found fault with the screen but I'm confinced it's becoming more frequent - even so, I've never had a camera or even a camera phone handy when it has so I AM being slack there....
We asked at the dealer about the warranty extension and they said they don't handle that - to call Holden finance???? Admittedly we only asked the service manager but I'd expect they should know. Another dealer we saw said the warranty division will contact you when you get close to the end of warranty (This has been the case with Toyotas we've had in the past) but what's the go with reaching the 100K Km's first? Anyone had any experience with this? I have that horrible feeling that we're being run around in the hope that our warranty just expires and we go away.

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
well next time it does it dont turn the car off go to the dealership tell the guy to come out to the car and look for himeeslf and now fix the bloody thing as said above holden know about the prob you shouldnt have problems getting it fixed

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
So it's been back again and we're now within 3000KM of the 100K warranty cutoff - again they've not found fault with the screen but I'm confinced it's becoming more frequent - even so, I've never had a camera or even a camera phone handy when it has so I AM being slack there....
We asked at the dealer about the warranty extension and they said they don't handle that - to call Holden finance???? Admittedly we only asked the service manager but I'd expect they should know. Another dealer we saw said the warranty division will contact you when you get close to the end of warranty (This has been the case with Toyotas we've had in the past) but what's the go with reaching the 100K Km's first? Anyone had any experience with this? I have that horrible feeling that we're being run around in the hope that our warranty just expires and we go away.

It's my understanding that they don't do a genuine extended Holden warranty, for obvious reasons given the long list of faults with the VE's. The extended warranty they do offer is one of those horror story after market jobs, like the dodgy finance brokers try and bundle with finance packages. Be careful ! Just sell it and update, who wants to drive a car with that many k's anyway, just replace it and hope like hell you get one with less problems.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
give the dealer techline campaign #TL1241-0611

that bulletin is to do with the screens turning off, combination of software and hardware issues

Did you try this? Andyman posted it earlier in the thread. If so what did they say to that?

justolder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I had noticed the same problem with my ve months ago, for no reason screen was blank but next time i started car it was ok.

Had to take car in for service and was told that they had to replace screen or module in dash, did not even ask for this to be done, have not see problem since it was last serviced.

My only problem now is my battery dies for no reason, have had rear door looms replaced but problem is still there, holden tell me it is my battery, but when holden assist jump start me and test battery, battery is fine.

car is back at holden today, so here is hoping they fix problem.

If you need help with screen issue, i can probably find my last service paperwork which should list exact work done.

Cheers.

Darren.

ScottyC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sorry guys, it seems I missed providing an update post after a visit back to the dealer at the end of May - I did not have a picture of the failed screen but did mention the techline campaign (TL1241-0611)to the guy I spoke with over the phone at the service centre when I booked it in - my wife dropped the car in. On the piece of paper we got back afterwards it noted that a firmware update had been applied to address the issue. Per my next (last) post, this doesn't seem to have made any difference.
I've arranged to take it to a different service centre in the next couple of weeks so will start the process again - and will hopefully have a photo as proof by then.
On the warranty, Holden have this on their site if you look REALLY hard: http://www.holden.com.au/resources/documents/Holden_PLUS_Extended_Factory_Warranty.pdf
When we showed this to the dealer, they said it's the first they've heard of it so we called the number - it goes to Swann Insurance who were quite helpful but advised they no longer look after factory warranty extensions and had no idea who now does. They did, however, send through a price list to indicate what we'd be looking at for extensions - Terms of between 12 and 48 month extensions and up to 200,000KM for between $560 and $1880 - $790 for the 12 month extension I want.
We're now within 2500KM of the end of warranty so I'm keen to get the last niggling things fixed as it looks like the extensions not going to happen, the last of which is the screen.