Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty Water Pump, new radiator burst

chris852

Reaction score
My Water Pump in my 99 VTII needs replacing, would a fault water pump cause a 3 month old radiator to burst?

I thought my drive belt tensioner was the problem though it seems to be the pump as the belt still comes on quickly - I finally noticed the water pump pulley was rattling.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
Sounds like your Pump is stuffed. They usually go after around 100-150,000km.
I would also replace your Thermostat as well. If it is sticking closed, it could cause too much pressure to be put into the Radiator.
Also, in a worst case scenario, could be a Head Gasket issue. ie cylinder leaking into coolant.

Victimiza

LG, v8.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II SS 380rwhp, VZ calais
had this same issue last week, didnt have any radiator issues but i managed to lose all of my coolant over night. Have your water pump replaced (I had mine done for $450 supplied and fitted, pump with thermostat housing, pump costs $372 for an ls1). If yours is a six it will cost a fraction of the price.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I would also replace your Thermostat as well. If it is sticking closed, it could cause too much pressure to be put into the Radiator.

I don't quite believe that, this is why there is a pressure rating on the radiator cap, to release built up pressure before it can damage the system.
If you have the wrong (read too high) pressure rating cap fitted to the radiator will blow it up for sure.

chris852, Where did you get your radiator from and did you have the correct cap fitted?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
Sounds like head gasket or cracked head, would explain leaking water pump and cracked radiator. if the radiator burst along the seam it may have been faulty manufacture or as VR38 said incorrect or faulty cap would contribute

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
the cap should release the pressure well before the radiator goes