Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty Wheel Studs

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Any time you take your car into a place that will remove the wheels,specify that you want them tensioned to 110 NM of torque (for a VY).
If they won't do it,take it to someone who will.
Every car that comes into our shop has the wheels tensioned with a quality torque wrench to specifications,not one of those torque bars that goes on a rattle gun.
I've drummed it into all the guys so it's second nature to them now.It only takes slightly longer and we've never had any wheel or stud incidents.

Listen to what Tom_1569 says as well,there's some good advice there.
Another thing i've seen happen is when someone swapped over their own wheels and the steel spacer that goes inside the alloy wheel stayed on the hub.Then when the other wheel with the steel spacer still inside it was fitted,did not sit fully on the hub.It was basically just riding on the spacer (because there was 2 of them on one hub.)

Quite a few allow wheels have these steel spacers fitted and quite often nobody even knows they are there.The reason they are there is to help prevent the wheel corroding and seizing onto the hub because of the two different metals used.They can still seize on there though,so check that out first and always clean and add anti-seize to the center hole of the wheel that sits on the hub.
If you have got one doubled up,remember that the wheel that came from that hub will have no spacer,so it will be loose on it's hub center as well.

Another cause of broken studs is loose nuts,but you can usually hear this before the wheel falls off :) . Was your stereo cranking at the time the wheel fell off??

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
My tyre shop doesn't use a rattle gun to do up the wheel nuts. They always uses a torque wrench and I'm not sure what tension they set it to but I have complete confidence that it would be the correct amount.

The mag wheels I have sit directly onto the hub and it would be very obvious if they werent sitting on the hub correctly.

Still got a standard VY stereo gear in my ute as I'm not really into loud car audio anymore and I can't really remember how loud it was at the time it really depends how good the song was on the radio:) As soon as I felt the wheel shuddering I slowed down but I only got down to 50k's when the wheel came off.

I was going to take it to court to get the fine torn up but I decided in the end it was worth the hassel since it was only $150. I'm still pretty keen to figure out what went wrong tho, can't have it happening again!

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Oh and not that long ago somebody told that when you start producing more power the wheel studs can't handle it, not sure about this as I've only got 50kw more than standard and theyre spose to handle a fair bit of weight in the tray. Not that I ever put much weight in it.

I'm sure if this was the case then alot of people on this forum would be having the same problem........

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Weight in the tray is much different than extra power at the wheels (burnouts etc). Weight is carried by suspension, torque is applied to transmission, dif, axles, wheels (studs) the studs being the final link in the chain. There's your answer.

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
If thats the answer then why aren't other people with modified 8's having the same trouble? Is there a uprated wheel stud I should be using rather than the standard holden ones?

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
The mag wheels I have sit directly onto the hub and it would be very obvious if they werent sitting on the hub correctly.

The spacers i'm talking about are very short in length and it's not obvious because the wheel will seem to fit on the hub OK because the studs help line it up.
Regarding the 3 studs that broke,what happened to the other 2 for the wheel to come right off??
Were the nuts missing?

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Regarding the 3 studs that broke,what happened to the other 2 for the wheel to come right off??
Were the nuts missing?

3 snapped close to the hub and the other 2 just had damage to the thread but were still intact. I'm gunna put it down to crap wheel nuts and possibly over tightening in the past.

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
farout mate that sound's dodgy as to me.... back in the day's of young i have had (the worst example) 2 nut's missing off 1 wheel for nearly a month coz my mate forgot to tell me he borrowed them, then forgot to replace them (goddam stoner). nothing ever happened. the other 3 stud's and nut's were fine. this was a 308 hq that was an everyday car and thrashed regularly. either holden are using **** material (very possible) or someone has had a play with it. i have never heard of the wheel actually leaving the hub.

wotto5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V SPORTSWAGON 6M
i had this happen to me as well... was taking a nut off to put my new locking nut on and the nut came off .. stud included...was not happy...
took a week to get it fixed... and still waitin on the bill...