Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty Wheel Studs

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Just curious if anyone has had any of their wheel studs break.

A few months ago I had 3 rear studs on the passenger side break at once which caused the wheel to go flying off down the motorway:bang: I recieved a $150 fine from the cop who turned up for not securing the wheel properly which I unsuccessfully challenged.

And this week I had just 1 rear stud on the drivers side break so I got all of them replaced just incase the others were faulty.

Any thoughts or comments? Is there something I'm doing wrong, every time I take my ute out now I'm paranoid a wheel is guna come off :eek:

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
what type of wheels are you running? I know there is a conversion for M14 Studs instead of M12 studs, are you carrying large loads? theres a 1001 questions as to why its happening, but I have never had a faulty stud unless it was something I did to cause it to break, i.e different wheels and the nuts only grabbing on the last couple threads causes more stress, wheel spacers etc....

mastadd

Reaction score
Website
www.classicskylinesaustralia.com
Members Ride
Vu Spac Ute
overtightened wheels nuts can be another cause, normally wheel shops over do it with their rattle guns

blownba

Reaction score
Or like what happened to a commodore I saw years ago.
the centre bore (hole) of the aftermarket mag wheels were just too small to fit over the wheel hub and the wheel did not sit correctly on the flange face so only the wheel studs were holding it. The rim will move around due to the lack of support from the flange and eventually will snap studs like twigs.
took a while to figure it out though.
We machined the centre holes out and all was good.
i doubt the studs are faulty. I havent seen faulty ones.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Or like what happened to a commodore I saw years ago.
the centre bore (hole) of the aftermarket mag wheels were just too small to fit over the wheel hub and the wheel did not sit correctly on the flange face so only the wheel studs were holding it. The rim will move around due to the lack of support from the flange and eventually will snap studs like twigs.
took a while to figure it out though.
We machined the centre holes out and all was good.
i doubt the studs are faulty. I havent seen faulty ones.

Thats what happens when you fit VB-Vp or VR rims, on a VR/S -VZ, as they hub diameters are different, and you either need machining or spacers if going the other way. Unfortunatly no one on here seems to give two shits at that advice lol.

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Ive got good quality 19inch DTM wheels and I've had it in the tyre shop shop a few times just to make sure the wheels and hub are ok. They tighten the wheel nuts with a torque wrench not a rattle gun.

possibly could of been the old wheel nuts, I've replaced them all now so hopefully I don't have anymore problems.

I hardly ever carry heavy loads so its not that.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
has happened to me with the VZ having VE rims on it which ive put down to the previously mentioned reasons

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
overtightened wheels nuts can be another cause, normally wheel shops over do it with their rattle guns
Thats the main reason from everyone that's had this problem. The guys that put on a new wheel for me overtightened mine. And i tried removing it yesterday to get to the aerial mast. Couldn't do it even by standing on the lever Holden supplies. Had to go grab my electric impact wrench that plugs into vehicles. Thank god i always carry that. If i had a flat i wouldn't be able to change it without it. I think they sell for $50 at Dick Smith stores, if you happen to get your wheels fitted by people who are too rattle happy then these are a definate thing to get. They undo and tighten too (not too tight though, they'll stop before a rattle gun stops).

Thats what i'd be putting my money on.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
Just curious if anyone has had any of their wheel studs break.

A few months ago I had 3 rear studs on the passenger side break at once which caused the wheel to go flying off down the motorway:bang: I recieved a $150 fine from the cop who turned up for not securing the wheel properly which I unsuccessfully challenged.

And this week I had just 1 rear stud on the drivers side break so I got all of them replaced just incase the others were faulty.

Any thoughts or comments? Is there something I'm doing wrong, every time I take my ute out now I'm paranoid a wheel is guna come off :eek:

wow. your front passenger side of ur bumper wouldnt of looked good.

JUZDVS

242.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Yea didn't look too flash eh. Claimed insurance on it cause the repairs were around $4000