Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fe2 sway bar probllem...

GrumpyCrumpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
T1 Toyota Lexcen GL
So I have a S1 VN Lexcen sedan, and I have lowered it and put what I was told was an FE2 sway bar in it. I used the supplied bushings for the body mounts, but am having an issue with the shortened link pin kit that it came with...

40864881523_b5b5e1b68f_k.jpg

The bottom mounting sheared off and the sway bar is now free to wreak havoc with the brake line... luckily I heard it let go and stopped driving. Wheels are full lock to the right so I could stick my head and camera in the wheel arch to figure out where the clunk was coming from. It let go on a full lock right turn.

The strut is a standard item, it's got king spring super lows and short stroke shock absorbers. The link pins I believe are genuine Holden with Nolathane bushings.

Is there an FE2 strut case that has the link pin mounting moved? Was I using the wrong link pin kit? Should I have used the original length ones? Not sure what the problem is, but obviously something is very very wrong with my setup for this to happen.

Any help would be appreciated, including being slapped across the head and being told I'm a retard who put the wrong parts in his car. Cheers guys.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
That link looks far too short to be a Commodore one, the aftermarket ones are also about the length of the original, the only difference is they're just slightly offset (S shaped) and have polyurethane bushes. The sway bar should be level with the car, not pointing upwards like that.

Last edited:

GrumpyCrumpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
T1 Toyota Lexcen GL
Thanks for replying, I guess the link pins are for an earlier or later model? The guy I got it off said it was VN/VP FE2 spec but gumtree so who knows guy mightve just been on drugs. the sway bar itself seems to bolt in just fine. Will put the original link pins back in and see how I go...

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Thanks for replying, I guess the link pins are for an earlier or later model? The guy I got it off said it was VN/VP FE2 spec but gumtree so who knows guy mightve just been on drugs. the sway bar itself seems to bolt in just fine. Will put the original link pins back in and see how I go...

that 'short' link pin is VB thru VL fitment (as it goes thru the bottom control arm to the sway bar)

You MUST use the long ones with the upper strut mount

GrumpyCrumpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
T1 Toyota Lexcen GL
that 'short' link pin is VB thru VL fitment (as it goes thru the bottom control arm to the sway bar)

You MUST use the long ones with the upper strut mount

Hi mate thanks for your reply!

Makes sense, old mate on gumtree obviously not as smart as he thought he was. Is the actual sway bar good to use though? It does seem to bolt in easily enough, the two body mounts are fine so if I just put the original links back in it'll be okay, yeah?

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
As Smitty said. Attached are some instructions

Attachments

• sway_bar_link.jpg
    sway_bar_link.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 226

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Swaybar looks fine. Don't think there's an FE2 swaybar though, pretty sure it's only the FE2 springs that are rated like that, at least for VN/VP. Was one thicker than the other?

GrumpyCrumpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
T1 Toyota Lexcen GL
Hi guys sorry for the late reply, just wanted to say that as it turns out I was, in fact, a retard, and installed the sway bar upside down. When I bought it, the short links were already installed, so I mounted the bar with them facing upwards, not knowing they were a lower control arm retrofit kit.

Bought new VL-style link pins and reinstalled the sway bar properly, car drives fine now. Thanks for your help guys.