Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Few newbie questions

BigRedCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi all

bit new to commodores and V8s and this forum
all my previous cars have been turbo subarus...

looking at a 2003 VY SS

its had extractors exhaust and air intake done but not a retune will you get much more power by getting it retuned to suit those mods? and is there any danger in having these mods done with out a retune?
how much power would u be looking at with these mods done?
what is standard output of a 2003 VY SS?
is a 2003 VY SS a series one or two?
is it hard to upgrade the breaks?
and what is a reasonable price for a 03 VY SS with 104,000kms and everything inside and out is in immaculate condition and just had four new tyres

thanks for any help :)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
what is standard output of a 2003 VY SS?
is a 2003 VY SS a series one or two?
is it hard to upgrade the breaks?
and what is a reasonable price for a 03 VY SS with 104,000kms and everything inside and out is in immaculate condition and just had four new tyres

thanks for any help :)[/QUOTE

1. If you have seen the car then it will have "series II" badge on the bottom right side of the boot lid. If not then it is series one (unless the badge has been removed).
Series Two began selling in Sept 2003 so check the build date on ID placard. I think the official release date was late August 03 though so no doubt there could be a few Aug 03 build series 2 cars around.

2. Series 2 output on the V8 - 245 kw @ 5600 rpm and 465 Nm torque @ 4000 rpm
........ Series one output V8 - 235 kw @ 5200 ........ and 465 Nm @ 4400 rpm
...... (As officially published by GMH)

3. Yes you can upgrade the brakes on VY commodores (such as a full HSV upgrade). It's only money you need. Do a search on this site and there are 1001 posts on that subject.

4. VY SS Prices.
Check out carsales.com.au for "asking" retail prices for similar vehicles in your part of the country. That's your best guide on asking prices. (There is also a section on that site where you can look up approximate wholesale valuations).

SS Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Is it a ute or sedan, manual or auto, and what colour is it, how much rego is on it? Some of those factors differ the asking price. I'd say between 15 -19K private sale.

BigRedCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
thanks for your help :)
couldn't see a series 2 badge ill have to double check the build date to find out what month.... is there much difference between a series one and two.... aside from slightly higher KW

its a sedan, manual, red (been very well looked after) 10 months rego and new tires all round put on a week ago... owner drives it like a granny... and looks after it like crazy like no food in the car washed all the time etc etc and it shows car is spotless inside and out....

just saw a dark blue VZ for sale down the road... now im stuck between which to choose..

2003 VY
red
108,000kms
manual, pacemaker extractors,SS intake, full exhaust, 19" wheels, 10 months rego, brand new tires, immaculate condition inside and out.... asking 19,500...

2005 VZ

dark blue
160,000kms
stock as rock bar after market wheels 18" i think...
good conditon few scratches n little tiny dents here and there gear stick knob is all faded n worn....
leather interior,forgot to check rego date....
asking 20,000

now im really stuck VZ for near enough to same price with leather interior but more ks not as good condition and no exhaust or extractors done.... n not sure if i like the dark blue or not..... the higher ks is really whats turning me away....

whats everyone's opinion on which to go for?