Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Few questions about suspension

COINERS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY.10
Few questions about suspension

Ok so I got a bit of cash saved up as I was doing a lot of over time over the Christmas season. Anyway I was thinking about getting a bit of work done to the VP. First Im prob going to chuck a bit of cash towards getting all my suspension replaced as it’s very soft.

Ok so my first problem is. Im running 18’s, 235’s, that came off my boss VY SS…
Anyway im having issues with rubbing. It’s not so bad now as I got some spacers on. But my questions are. If I decided to get my car lowered will I get any more rubbing then what im getting now or was getting before I got the spacers on…

Also how much do you guys think I would be looking at to get my ****ty old suspension replaced… what did you guys pay??

Thanks guys

Nick

24012008006.jpg

24012008001.jpg

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I would say part of the issue with the scrubbing would be incorrect tyre size if they are the same sized tyres as used on the SS. Im talking profile, not width or size. I run 19" 245's with heaps of room at the back. Also, wheel spacers are illegal. What is the tyre size?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Is your car IRS or live axle? The offset is slightly different between the IRS and Live axle cars.

In Victoria wheels spacers are not legal unless your car was fitted with them OEM. To my knowledge no Commodore have ever been factory fitted with spacers. Heaps of people fit late model wheels to early commodores and most have the issue you are talking about. Be careful as your car may not be insured if you have a blow out and accident as these are not legal modifications

Check out http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf. Item 8, Wheels and tyres.

Reaper

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I went out a while ago and had a full Pedders sports ryder kit fitted with front strut brace, for a bit over $1500 all up. Had it lowered so the bottom of the rear outer guard sits a tiny bit lower than the top of each rear tyre. Basically tucking a bee's penis worth of tyre.

I run 18's with 235/40's front and rear and have no problem with scrubbing, but i am waiting on some money to come through either today or early next week, then i'm going out to buy a set of sigs (19's) and try and run 245's on them and see how it goes.

But i got away with not lowering mine too much because it has a full bodykit fitted, so it makes the car look alot lower than it really is. If you have no kit and want that low stance, you actually have to dump it real low.

strhsv

strhsv
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0L '89
I also had a full Pedders sports ryder kit with front strut brace for about $1700, But i went really low. 45mm of ground clearance at the lowest point
which is at the extracators. The next lowest point is 95mm which is the
fuel tank. 18" wheels with 265's on the rear. This does rub, but only with a
full tank of fuel (90L, berlina tank). The rear guards are also flared

So you can go as low as your comfortable with and what your budget allows.

But i think your car cant be low enough and your wheels big enough.

Check the pic..

Attachments

• new000_0003.JPG
    new000_0003.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 219

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I truely hope you neither live or drive anywhere near me. Ever wonder why the regs are like they are?

Reaper

I also had a full Pedders sports ryder kit with front strut brace for about $1700, But i went really low. 45mm of ground clearance at the lowest point
which is at the extracators. The next lowest point is 95mm which is the
fuel tank. 18" wheels with 265's on the rear. This does rub, but only with a
full tank of fuel (90L, berlina tank). The rear guards are also flared

So you can go as low as your comfortable with and what your budget allows.

But i think your car cant be low enough and your wheels big enough.

Check the pic..

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Can never be too low? Of course it can. Mine isn't silly low, and mine still scrapes on the odd occasion on a driveway. It's sh*t. Bodykit and bigger wheels will make your car look a little lower though. Hence why i didn't dump mine on it's a*s. I don't really want the underbody of my car scratched up and rooted.

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Hmm too low is a problem, my vn has a kit and lowest point from side skirt is 120mm probably 90mm at the muffler. The car already came that way when I bought it but I wouldnt change it now.
Speedbumps are an issue, I try to avoid them completely also my exhaust scrapes a tad when im leaving home unless im going real slow. Police have questioned me mainly who lowered it not how low and they seem to think its ok its fine for me :D

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Don't stick ultra lows in the back of it, then try to make it over a speed bump with someone in the back (even worse with a full tank of fuel)

It doesn't work, you will scrape everything, tell everyone to get out so you can make it over the speedbump, them tell them to get back in. Would look funny too.

Go superlows all round, and mabye get some lower profile tires.

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
I have a Vp SS running 18 inch VY R8 Clubsport rims and I have not had a problem. My car is on Supers at the front and Ultras at the rear. If I go relatively slow over speed bumps I have no concerns.

Mine is also IRS, and I had a camber kit in put in when I had it lowered. I do not, nor have I ever, had scraping issues with a full fuel tank, or a load of passengers in the back.