Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

few questions on putting new stereo system in vx

todd_harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
hi all just new to the site just have a few questions i am planning on puttin a new head unit in my vx its got the stock setup in it at the min my plans are to put a new head unit in i already have the single din pocket and the wiring harness with the plug for the stock head unit i want to replace the speakers in the doors and put a amp and sub in it just want to know the best setup could i run all the speakers off the head unit and just run rca's to an amp for the sub? any help would be great thanks

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Your post is a little confusing, but here goes....You say run all the speakers off the H/U .... and run an RCA from the H/U to the amp for the sub- You will need to run RCA's to the amp either way, it's how it pick's up it's signal from the H/U. So are you saying you will be amplifing the sub only?? If your not going to amplifiy your speakers, i wouldnt bother replacing them, just for an example, dont quote these figures!!your stock speakers would at least be capable of 30 watts RMS , your aftermarket head unit would provide around 12-15 watts RMS per channel, so upgrading your speakers without an amplifier isn't going to show a huge improvemet, lucky to be any...If you are adding an amplifier to the speakers,aswell as an amp for the sub, make your the head unit you buy has more than one Pre out, meaning you can add more than one amplifier to it, If you want more advice list your budget and the type of music you mainly listen to and the features you would like (also whether you will be installing it yourself..)

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
sorry to hijack the thread but since the OP is doing a stereo install, he may need this info as well.

how do you go about wiring parcel shelf speakers from the rear doors?
probably been covered before, but i couldnt find the relevant info.

do you need to actually remove the wiring out of the door (from the speaker) or is there a connection before the door?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Short answer to your question, yes you can run all your speakers off the head-unit and just run an amp to power your sub.

A good option for you would be to get yourself a 4 ch amplifier. This way you can bridge the rear outputs of the amp to power the sub and run the front speakers off the front outputs of the amp. Then you will maximise the sound quality and volume from the aftermarket speakers youre planning on buying. 4 channel amplifiers arent that much dearer than a 2 channel version, and the benefits you'll get will be well worth the extra cash.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
davway.....underneath where the seatbelt goes into the B pillar is the wiring for the rear doors, you'll find the speaker wiring there.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
davway.....underneath where the seatbelt goes into the B pillar is the wiring for the rear doors, you'll find the speaker wiring there.

do i have to cut the wire or is there a plug?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Cant remember now....i know thats where they are from tapping into these wires to run line out converters.

todd_harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
so if i buy a head unit 4 6" speakers a sub and a amp and just run all the speakers to the amp can i run the sub off the amp to and will it sound alright? what sorta amp will i need