Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

few questions on the vf ss

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Hi guys,
In the near future I'm looking at getting a vf ss wagon, I just have a few questions

Does the vf ss run better on 98 fuel like the ls1s? Or doesn't it matter as much with these newer cars?

Does anyone have a ltr per 100km for e85?

What's the 0-100km for the wagon? Can only find info on the sedan

Will these engines develop issues like the ls1s ( piston slap, lifter noise, leaky sumps)

As you can probably tell I'm a ls1 owner been a great car but had its issues like mentioned

Cheers

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
One more thing, the sedan has a aluminum bonnet and boot, it's it the same for wagon?

kosta364

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF REDLINE UTE
I do mostly hwy but my L/100 is usually around 15L per 100 with a little punch here and there taking off or overtaking.

I get about 450ks a tank but could easily get 500 or just over.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Sorry no data on E85 but with 98 premium I can do Mt Isa to Tennant Creek (660km) just and I mean just with a speed of 110kph for the Qld part and 130kph for the NT section. That's with a large dog two cute cats and luggage. Just for everyone's info that hasn't been to a track or the open speed limit section in the NT she chews around 20l/100km doing 220kph.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hi guys,
In the near future I'm looking at getting a vf ss wagon, I just have a few questions

Does the vf ss run better on 98 fuel like the ls1s? Or doesn't it matter as much with these newer cars?

Does anyone have a ltr per 100km for e85?

What's the 0-100km for the wagon? Can only find info on the sedan

Will these engines develop issues like the ls1s ( piston slap, lifter noise, leaky sumps)

As you can probably tell I'm a ls1 owner been a great car but had its issues like mentioned

Cheers

98 Octane fuel gives me 12L/100km, E85 gives me 16.5L/100km.

It is claimed that E85 is 30% less dense than normal fuel, therefor is 30% less efficient - however mine used 37.5% more in same driving conditions.

However, regardless of what people say, I noticed on my second consecutive tank of E85 a significant power increase - my car was activing traction control up to 80k/h, where as with 98 octane it will only activate up to 40km/h.

Most of my driving is freeway, or roads that are 80km/h speed limits with minimal traffic lights. (minimal stop start on the freeway)

As for whether they run better on 98 compared to 91 - don't know, never tried.

Will the engine develop issues - depends how it's treated and what is done to it, every engine has a life span.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I just did did back to back tank fills with 91 and 98 octane, 100% metro driving.
91 octane - 460kms
98 octane - 480kms

Around town I cannot tell the difference power wise so will just stick with the 91. The 98 also adds $10 to the bill and isn't worth it.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I just did did back to back tank fills with 91 and 98 octane, 100% metro driving.
91 octane - 460kms
98 octane - 480kms

Around town I cannot tell the difference power wise so will just stick with the 91. The 98 also adds $10 to the bill and isn't worth it.

Flukey,

Was that Caltex fuel? I used to use it, but since switching to BP, I can say the Caltex 98 is rubbish. There is a significant difference in mine using BP 98, but then again mine is tuned now.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
98 Octane fuel gives me 12L/100km, E85 gives me 16.5L/100km.

It is claimed that E85 is 30% less dense than normal fuel, therefor is 30% less efficient - however mine used 37.5% more in same driving conditions.

However, regardless of what people say, I noticed on my second consecutive tank of E85 a significant power increase - my car was activing traction control up to 80k/h, where as with 98 octane it will only activate up to 40km/h.

Most of my driving is freeway, or roads that are 80km/h speed limits with minimal traffic lights. (minimal stop start on the freeway)

As for whether they run better on 98 compared to 91 - don't know, never tried.

Will the engine develop issues - depends how it's treated and what is done to it, every engine has a life span.

My car feels sooooo different on Caltex Eflex (E70-85) compared to BP 98. I can't really say if I can feel the extra power, but agree with what you're saying re the traction control. Sometimes mine skips sideways taking off from a standing start in 2nd gear (Auto), and that's only say half throttle at most.

The most surprising differences though are the engine and exhaust note (far quieter), and the auto changes (far smoother shifts and less downshifting). On corners I go around where my car would have dropped from 5th to 2nd with BP98, it now stays in 4th or at worst drops back to 3rd. The only conclusion I can draw is there is more bottom end torque so the downshifts aren't necessary. No pinging or laggy acceleration either. It gets up and boogies, and even under light acceleration just pulls away smooth and strong. Note my car was tuned to run on both 98Ron and E85 by Gentech.

The ironic thing is the push into the back of the seat seems harder with BP98. Pperhaps that's just a perception due to the V8 growl my car makes on that fuel. Unless I virtually floor it with the Eflex the engine note is very very quite - almost back to standard note. However I think it's more to do with the tune. My view is that the Eflex torque curve starts to climb lower in the rev range, climbs rapidly then plateau's, whereas the 98Ron torque curve is lower at lower rev's through to the bottom of the mid range, say 3-3.5K revs, then climbs above the E85 curve. hence the feeling of being pushed hard into the seat, and the harder sharper gear changes at high revs. Just my theory though.

By the gauge I used a little over a quarter of a tank to drive Canberra to Wagga (250k's). It was full to the brim of E85 Eflex.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Flukey,

Was that Caltex fuel? I used to use it, but since switching to BP, I can say the Caltex 98 is rubbish. There is a significant difference in mine using BP 98, but then again mine is tuned now.

7/11 so it probably was Caltex.
Interesting you say that because I had used 98 one other time and I got nearly 600 from the tank around town.
I hadn't considered a difference in premium unleaded so I will try Shell or BP and see how it goes.