Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

few questions on the vf ss

LooLoo18

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6
7/11 so it probably was Caltex.
Interesting you say that because I had used 98 one other time and I got nearly 600 from the tank around town.
I hadn't considered a difference in premium unleaded so I will try Shell or BP and see how it goes.

7/11 Use Mobil fuel!!!

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Thanks so far guys, another question worth adding a trans cooler? Just to pro long the life

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Speaking about E85, I'm currently going through my first tank of the stuff and can now feel when the AFM activates / de-activates. On 98RON this was in-distinguishable. Interesting.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I hadn't noticed the AFM activate. Will see if I can detect it tomorrow.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
BP Ultimate (98) is absolutely worth the extra couple of dollars to use.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Does the vf ss run better on 98 fuel like the ls1s? Or doesn't it matter as much with these newer cars?

Yes, not much difference with the stock tune though.

Does anyone have a ltr per 100km for e85?

Same engine in a VE SII best ever was 9.5l/100k highway Sydney to Albury, typically 12.5l/100k highway. Around town being sensible it can use nearly as low as the same amount of petrol, but depending on load, start/stops can easily be twice that, around 22l/100k.
Properly tuned to ethanol, an unopened L77 can burn 250lbs of fuel per hour (2.5litres/min), interestingly that works out to be the same Brake Specific Fuel Consumption as when the engine is tuned for petrol: 0.47. Yeah ethanol uses more fuel, but tuned efficiently can get to the same BSFC, then more fuel = more horsepower, and ethanol is cheaper, cleaner and 40% less carbon.

What's the 0-100km for the wagon? Can only find info on the sedan

5.5 seconds manual, 5.6 seconds auto.

Will these engines develop issues like the ls1s ( piston slap, lifter noise, leaky sumps)

Yes L77 make similar noises to the LS1 on cold wet dawn start, a lot better overall, at 160,000k mine still good (85% ethanol not so explosive below 10ºC on a wet morning).

[video=youtube_share;1blRAkgAFWg]http://youtu.be/1blRAkgAFWg[/video]

At 1:20 you can hear a slow-filling lifter for a second or so, they all do that oil quality is the key, otherwise no noise apart from the occasional squeak from front dress when cold.
Rear main seal can be a minor issue on certain variants around 120,000k.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Thanks pir4te,
What did you mean not so explosive below 10c?
And what's a front dress? Is that the metallic noise in the video?

So for a untuned car you would say just run 98?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
What did you mean not so explosive below 10c?

Just that it takes half a dozen cranks to blow the dewy, cold air through and spark with ethanol, that's why it's not 100% ethanol available at the pump because it likes to ignite 10ºC - 130ºC, whereas petrol is like -15ºC (or something). So 85% ethanol is called a summer blend, the winter blend has more petrol in it up to 30% currently with eFlex.

And what's a front dress? Is that the metallic noise in the video?

Front dress is the serpentine and A/C belts, pulleys, idlers, tensioners and accessories being driven at the front of the engine.

So for a untuned car you would say just run 98?

Hmmm, depends if you care about what it indirectly represents (jobs, domestic production, environment, better for engine) or what it delivers in cost savings now and into the future.
At 9.5l/100k highway paying $1.18 per litre at the pump the fuel cost per klm is 11¢. 98 maybe uses less 8.5l/100k highway but you are paying $1.75 per litre so per klm is close to 15¢.

Of course put your foot down you get more horsepower using more ethanol, however the stock tune leaves most of that on the table.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Just that it takes half a dozen cranks to blow the dewy, cold air through and spark with ethanol, that's why it's not 100% ethanol available at the pump because it likes to ignite 10ºC - 130ºC, whereas petrol is like -15ºC (or something). So 85% ethanol is called a summer blend, the winter blend has more petrol in it up to 30% currently with eFlex.

Front dress is the serpentine and A/C belts, pulleys, idlers, tensioners and accessories being driven at the front of the engine.

Hmmm, depends if you care about what it indirectly represents (jobs, domestic production, environment, better for engine) or what it delivers in cost savings now and into the future.
At 9.5l/100k highway paying $1.18 per litre at the pump the fuel cost per klm is 11¢. 98 maybe uses less 8.5l/100k highway but you are paying $1.75 per litre so per klm is close to 15¢.

Of course put your foot down you get more horsepower using more ethanol, however the stock tune leaves most of that on the table.

Good info Pir4te. If only it was avbl in more locations. Canberra is a bit to far to go to fill up. Even with a jerry can or two. lol.

BTW your PM inbox is full.