Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fibreglass bodykit - preparation for paint

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
What's involved in preparing fibreglass for painting? I've been quoted around $1500 to prep and spray (two-pack heron white) a VX ClubSport bodykit for a VN. If I can do any of the preparation work on the fibreglass myself, I'd be glad to as I'm happy to spend time working on car stuff. :p

Not knowing much about the whole process, is there much/anything I can do, or should I leave it all up to professionals?

Cheers
Sam

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
if you want to find holes/low spots get a cheap can of black spray paint(if its white) and give it a verry light coat (so you can see little spots of paint not a full cover) and rub it back, either by hand or with a sander till bost of the black is gone. where it stayes thats where you need to use body filler.
be carfull with fiber glass its bloody itchy SH*T

Cootie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
at work we just did one of these kits for a VS, try 2 put it on the car 1st, every1 of these aftermarket conversion kits we have put on cars, neva line up exactly and are out in places and all the holes u need are all rarely there, but yeh $1500 is about right, to get the body kit lookin perfect b4 u fitted it... the one we just did at work, we had 2 reprime a couple of times because we kept finding problems with it and parts we needed to fill in or repair. im not tryin 2 turn u off it, just telling you wat i have experienced with these.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Thanks guys - I'll leave the preparation up to the pros - don't want to wind up with anything less than perfect :p

When it comes to test fitting, what kind of shop should I approach for this, or should it be a part of the prep and paint process??

Something else I was wondering about . . . how structurally sound are these kits? For example - should I be aware of the air pressure building up under the car against the rear bar at high speeds? (I'm talking higher than highway speeds . . .) or are they fairly good?

Cootie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
ask whoeva is goin 2 prep and paint it, if they can fit it b4 they paint it so u can see what it looks like, or do it urself, and ask them if it sits properly or if it needs 2 be changed somehow. also we had a side skirt that wasnt long enough on 1 body kit.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
OK thanks Cootie. I'll ask at the paint shop. I'm still looking for a front bar - somebody recommend a shop in Sydney for me - I don't know where to look, or who makes quality kits . . .

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
SSV can supply a front bar unpainted for $650 (not including freight) . . . is this too much? It's the only offer I've had except some cheap dude who makes his own . . . $220. I'm staying away from that one because it'll probably be cheap stuff that'll get a hole in it the first pebble that comes my way . . . *hmm*