Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Filler vent problem, need advice.

sarahvq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice SII
Hey guys, got an issue with my filler vent hose. It popped off the other day while filling, which wasn't a problem, till I put it back on. After I reattached it the car started getting what I assume is some pretty serious vapour lock. Is there a valve in my filler vent that could be stuck? And if so, is it possible to fix it without replacing the entire fuel filler pipe? They seem to be a little hard to find... any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :)

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I've had some experience replacing the breather lines around the fuel filler pipe on my VP but I haven't experienced what you've described. Can you give additional info ie what do you mean by vapour lock probs? I'm surprised you even noticed that the vent line came off cos I thought it was all well tucked away out of easy sight. Normally people report smelling fuel after filling up when their lines are split/perished. Maybe the line is blocked and that's why it came off when you were filling the tank?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Best way is to remove the tank and replace all the vapour lines with new fuel line.
Search the forum for diagrams, sizing etc.

FYI don't use 3mm hose as I was advised, they are too small.
You want 4.8mm (or 5mm or what have you).

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Best way is to remove the tank and replace all the vapour lines with new fuel line.
Search the forum for diagrams, sizing etc.

FYI don't use 3mm hose as I was advised, they are too small.
You want 4.8mm (or 5mm or what have you).

yeah, what he said^

sarahvq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice SII
Can you give additional info ie what do you mean by vapour lock probs? I'm surprised you even noticed that the vent line came off cos I thought it was all well tucked away out of easy sight. Normally people report smelling fuel after filling up when their lines are split/perished. Maybe the line is blocked and that's why it came off when you were filling the tank?

I'm just assuming it's vapour lock, since it's the only thing that makes sense, the car runs fine with the hose disconnected, but will start stalling after a few minutes of running once it's reattached. And I think this line has been disconnected for a while, judging by all the gunk that's in there, I only noticed it at the pump, when premium started spilling out from under my wheel arch.

The lines are gonna be replaced and the system cleaned out, as several other lines are either perished or cut, so god knows how much crap has gotten in. Hopefully this will solve the problem. The joys of buying a new car huh? Always an adventure finding out what havoc the previous owners have wreaked.