Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finally got my VB. Anyone have one with original lower k's than this?

Cheech420

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV MSE
Hey Guys,
After I bought my Motorsport in 2017, I spent 5 years looking for a 78 VB in order to have the first and last Commodore V8"s. I think I hit the jackpot. Found it locally would you believe, and it was also sold locally back in December 1978. Here's the breakdown.
SLE - All matching numbers (original)
Oct 78 built (Sydney) chassis no 000733S
310 pack ( I think) as its a L31 motor, M41 Box, and G70 diff
Original throughout including radio and factory added rear speakers.
Original books including owners manual and service book. Only exhaust has been modified.
Plates are cool as well - SLE-078.
The kicker is the k's, 66,400
Is there any other 78 5.0L SLE's lower than this that people may know of? I've seen a few with 100 -200, but not under 100.

Here's a few pics.
Cheers,
Frank.
vb01.jpg
vb02.jpg
vb03.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey Guys,
After I bought my Motorsport in 2017, I spent 5 years looking for a 78 VB in order to have the first and last Commodore V8"s. I think I hit the jackpot. Found it locally would you believe, and it was also sold locally back in December 1978. Here's the breakdown.
SLE - All matching numbers (original)
Oct 78 built (Sydney) chassis no 000733S
310 pack ( I think) as its a L31 motor, M41 Box, and G70 diff
Original throughout including radio and factory added rear speakers.
Original books including owners manual and service book. Only exhaust has been modified.
Plates are cool as well - SLE-078.
The kicker is the k's, 66,400
Is there any other 78 5.0L SLE's lower than this that people may know of? I've seen a few with 100 -200, but not under 100.

Here's a few pics.
Cheers,
Frank.
View attachment 239178View attachment 239179View attachment 239180
Is it as clean as it looks?

Looks good.

Cheech420

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV MSE
Is it as clean as it looks?

Looks good.
It's not too bad for a 44 year old. Paint is original so there's swirl marks and the odd light scratches, but you'd expect that for its age. Interior, boot and motor are quite incredible though, looks like the back seats were never sat on. Carpet is quite good as well.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you don’t mind me asking, what was the ball park purchase price for such a rarity?

Having the service books is great… So was it parked for a long time or just had 125kms put on it each month over the last 44 years?

Reactions: Lex

Cheech420

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV MSE
If you don’t mind me asking, what was the ball park purchase price for such a rarity?

Having the service books is great… So was it parked for a long time or just had 125kms put on it each month over the last 44 years?
Don't really want to say the price, but I paid what I thought it was worth. It was on club rego these past years, and prior to that it was getting serviced pretty much annually, so I'm not sure how it was driven.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Obviously you paid what you thought it was worth else you wouldn’t have bought it :p:p:p

I‘d have thought the service receipts or service booklet would have has the kms and date of each service listed. But it doesn’t matter, I was just curious as it’s low rather kms “for its age”.

I’ve always hated the qualifier “for its age” especially in relation to condition. Either a vehicle is in bad, good, great or as new condition, or it’s not. Heck I’ve seen cars that aren’t eve 10 years old yet they have been neglected and in rather poor condition :oops:

So regardless of servicing, or when and how the kms were put on, your VB looks nice, period :cool:

PS: what looks like motorsport edition floor mats seem a little out of place in the VB but I’ll excuse it as the rest looks so nice :p

Cheech420

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV MSE
Obviously you paid what you thought it was worth else you wouldn’t have bought it :p:p:p

I‘d have thought the service receipts or service booklet would have has the kms and date of each service listed. But it doesn’t matter, I was just curious as it’s low rather kms “for its age”.

I’ve always hated the qualifier “for its age” especially in relation to condition. Either a vehicle is in bad, good, great or as new condition, or it’s not. Heck I’ve seen cars that aren’t eve 10 years old yet they have been neglected and in rather poor condition :oops:

So regardless of servicing, or when and how the kms were put on, your VB looks nice, period :cool:

PS: what looks like motorsport edition floor mats seem a little out of place in the VB but I’ll excuse it as the rest looks so nice :p
Should have worded that better, he moved a bit from what he wanted, and we were both happy. It was north of $50k though. I'll go through the service books in detail, and come back to you on it's driving history. I'd rate this car as good-great as it is 44 years old and there are small signs of this. As for the Motorsport mats, they're temporary lol, just waiting to getting around to buying some new ones. Thanks for the opinion on it though, and it does get some attention from the Gen X's and Baby Boomers, but the Millennial's couldn't give a **** lol

Attachments

• 1656056276890.png
    1656056276890.png
    68 bytes · Views: 103

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I’d have thought that VB would be around the RRP motorsport money (before dealer greed became rampant) but the point wasn’t to goat you into reveling a price, more to state the obvious that you’d not have bought it unless you were happy with it :p

Me, I don’t have the space or the current desire for another big discretionary spend on a toy. I hardly use my MSE as is but it would have been tempting to contemplate such for a microsecond (or several) had I been aware of it :oops::p

Good luck with it and throw up a few more pics as the desire strikes :cool:

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wonder what they’d be worth if sold together as a pair (VB and the VF)? If they are the same colour, that would be the icing on the cake!
Sometimes you’d not want to know as you simply want to enjoy what you have…

And when someone tells you your car is worth $$$ driving becomes more challenging and less enjoyable as you notice all the nuts on our roads…

Sometimes ignorance is bliss :cool: