Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finding housemates

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Hello all I'm just after advice on the best way to find housmates. I've just bought a house and on May 8 will be moving in. I can afford it on my own but money will be pretty tight as i've just found out I will be on 75% pay for the rest of the year.

I've put notices around the place and a couple of ads on the internet. Should I put something in the newspaper?

I am looking for two females as most guys i know are messy pigs who cant cook or clean (not saying ALL females are clean and can cook).

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

edit: I am a 21 yr old male btw

Last edited:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Lol share housed for years and found the guys tidier than girls. Girls look after themselves more but not the stuff around them.

Aim for a couple of uni students if you can. That way you know what they are there for, they'll have other friends so your place doesn't have to become the party house and they are easy to tell to bugger off if they are no good. Students are good for money too (despite what people say) some of their rent will be paid by centrelink anyway and they are out to spend money no save it (to generalise of course). They'll often bring parents or you can ask about parents if they come for a look too - parents are good backup.
Oh and uni girls all have pillow fights in underwear each night.

Ourselves and friends always aim for students to put in rentals. There isn't as much guesswork.

To get them... canvas the local uni/s see if someone will pump out a group email for you and see what turns up. It's about this time of year where students will realise they are failing and will move home. that leaves others who were sharehousing with them looking for a new place to live. Also those who have decided they need to actually study and want to move off-campus.

Goodluck and congrats on your purchase - you won't look back - a great thing to do at such a young age.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Thanks mate I'll have to check out the UNI's. The only thing is its about a 30 to 40 minute drive from the majority of them. But i'll try nonetheless. Interesting to hear about your experience with the different genders. A few of my mates have moved out and i'm just disgusted by the state of their houses.

The pillow fights sound like fun too haha.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Uni's are definatly a good start, thats what i wad going to mention

other than that, maybe... ok im blank haha definatly try put up adds at uni's with those little tab cut out things down the bottom with ur number

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Try easyroommates.com.au or flatmates.com.au. Both pretty good. My girlfriend just found a uni student as a housemate through one of those sites.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
^yeah I put an ad on those sites but only as a basic member. Then realised you cant even reply to messages as a basic. Did you have to pay anything?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
^yeah I put an ad on those sites but only as a basic member. Then realised you cant even reply to messages as a basic. Did you have to pay anything?

It'll be worth paying to reply to messages bud. Seriously. You stand to gain a lot by finding someone so why not pay a little extra?

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Guys tend to get along with girls better in a living environment until the girls start bringing home their b/f's & one nighters,
They can get on your nerves when their friends trash everything and laze about.

One thing to consider is that they WORK or STUDY and that they can afford to pay rent/bills.
Then there not home alllllll the time and less chance of them lazing about.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Guys tend to get along with girls better in a living environment until the girls start bringing home their b/f's & one nighters,
They can get on your nerves when their friends trash everything and laze about.

One thing to consider is that they WORK or STUDY and that they can afford to pay rent/bills.
Then there not home alllllll the time and less chance of them lazing about.

I think guys are just as (if not more) likely to friends over that trash everything and laze about. I live with two girls and have had no such issues other than when we have a party of course but that can't be helped. I think the biggest issue with girls is the damn bathroom usage :p

The making sure they are able to afford the bills etc. is a big one though. Alot of uni students don't realise the costs involved with moving out, and that its more than just rent each week.

Realistically, if you're going to be living with them i'd be trying people you actually know. Moving in with people that you don't know can be very risky especially when theres a lease involved. Who knows what they may turn out like as people can be completely different in a living arrangement than just meeting them normally.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Miners & defence force people are sometimes looking for a place rather then sleeping on site/base/depo.

Just a thought, Good Luck!!