Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Fined for having no driving/fog lights in existing holes

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I'm with Jojo, Foglamps are an option and are not a requirement for roadworthy purposes (thus are sold as options on new cars).

Cars like i.e. VX S-pack are sold with spots to mount foglights but is up to purchaser from factory to option foglights.

I've checked through ADR's and Roadworthy requirements but there is nothing that states requirements apart from appropriate operation of said foglights.

The fact that the kit is aftermarket and has mount points for foglights yet original car did not have foglights should mean the law should relate to the original car.

Roadworthy Requirements http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/r...9-457B-BC74-4AAD84A6F8EC/0/VSI26_1212_WEB.pdf

ADR's http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/AFC01553-2574-4520-BE1D-F4F9AA09F300/0/VSI22.pdf

ADR's for Passenger Vehicles http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/pdf/ADR_Applicability_Summary_M_Group.pdf

Modification guide http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/r...mber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
i think it would be under the same act as having a hole cut in the bonnet

something along the lines of

-structial support
-visible protrusion

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
i think it would be under the same act as having a hole cut in the bonnet

something along the lines of

-structial support
-visible protrusion

no cause kit is based off a factory kit and said factory kit had to adhear to safety standards, i.e structual support and visible protrusion

Jonesy

ChewieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6
If there is a law stating that if there is a provision for fog lights they have to be fitted, and it is an offence to not have then, the law is an ass, but it doesn't surprise me.

This particular cop is just being an arsehole......and then they wonder why some people don't like them.

It would be at this point, if it was happening to me, I'd ask them why they aren't out doing real police work like catching criminals, and I'd end up with a canary as well for being a smartarse

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
no cause kit is based off a factory kit and said factory kit had to adhear to safety standards, i.e structual support and visible protrusion

Jonesy

The genuine kits may adhear to the standards, but non-genuine ones may not.

Based doesnt mean its 100% the same.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Jonesy

correct me if im wrong but dont the pov pack cars have covers over the holes when foglights arent fitted?

so without the covers or fog lights installed to block the holes its like an 'unnecessary opening'

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Sounds like is bs to me.. I'd ring the station and ask to speak to the cop and get them to say why there is a fine for it, also think only the hwy patrol can issue such tickets for unroad worthiness..

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
correct me if im wrong but dont the pov pack cars have covers over the holes when foglights arent fitted?

so without the covers or fog lights installed to block the holes its like an 'unnecessary opening'

no you are correct so you may be right

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
eithery way its a retarded fine, but in saying that i hate seein kits that dont have the fog lights installed

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Some yes, some no. It is stretching my memory here but the issue with bonnets/holes in bonnets relates to containing danger from an engine component failure. (say) a radiator hose blowing is a good example - bonnet prevents most (if not all) of it spreading over the windscreen unexpectedly. Some small holes in the front fascia won't let this happen. There is a ADR regarding radii of folds and protrusions in the front for pedestrian safety. The OEM bar will comply however being aftermarket - who knows?