Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Fined for having no driving/fog lights in existing holes

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ok, this isnt me, but is for a customer i have coming in tomorrow to have driving lights fitted.

heres the deal from what ive been told.

customer is new p plater, drives vz commodore with hsv bodykit(aftermarket).

pulled over for "random breatho", and fined $100~ and 1 demerit point for having holes in bumper for driving/fog lights, but no lights installed in said location. as far as i know, they would be the same style hole as a factory hsv bumper.

i havent got time to sit on hold with vicroads, and my manager called local cop shop only to be told to just write a letter to civic compliance because they didnt know.

so i ask, anyone in vic who has either had this happen, or knows the law/adr that this applies to.

in short, in victoria(dont give a stuff about other states) is there a law requiring existing/oem driving/fog light holes to have lights fitted?

i'll check in on this tonight when i finish work, and if someone is extremely bored, they can call vicroads for me and find out ;)

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
well i doubt that can be right, seeming as vx spacks run the same body kit and ss, spacks did not come with foglights (factory option) but they still have the mounts in the bumper for them

Jonesy

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats my thoughts aswell. many cars come with the hole there, and either a blanking plate or just an open hole. ****, some cars even have the wiring ready to go.

but id like to find out for definate if i can

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Surely if she is being fined the penalty notice should be able to specify which part of the act or regulation she is being fined under.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Surely if she is being fined the penalty notice should be able to specify which part of the act or regulation she is being fined under.

im hoping she hasnt paid the fine, and possibly has it in the car, so i can look at it tomorrow, find out exactly what the notice was written up as

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
So, you get fined for having no lights in there and for driving with them on. Can't fkn win

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt

This.......

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
If she pointed out that it was a aftermarket kit and her car did not come with factory fog lights she should have no issue. she should only really get in trouble if the vz had factory foglights and she didnt re-fit them

Jonesy

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
im hoping she hasnt paid the fine, and possibly has it in the car, so i can look at it tomorrow, find out exactly what the notice was written up as

Hopefully you'll also get;

Name
Address
Bust Size

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
sounds like he was being a prick (no surprises there) but really if it is "the letter of the law" I'd judge that you need something to fill the hole either a lamp or a blank.

even if it is the letter of the law, in all honesty what a low act to be fined for it.