Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finished Engine Swap - Auto wont click in gear?

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
Hey guys,

Just finished an engine swap today, got the car running etc, sounds abit weird and have the "check engine" sign,

Few questions;

How do I go about getting the error codes that appear? I got told that you have to use some sort of pin,

Second issue - and most pissed off at; I finished putting the auto back in, but for some reason it wont click into gear, I have it attached to the gear knob and it is recognised on the dash when it changes gear but there seems to be no pressure, i filled up 4L in the auto and it is above full line, when on empty including torq converter, it should more then that.

Any possible reasons why there is no pressure? Could the pump be broken?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
What car ??
What motor ??
What trans ??

Did you plug all the wires back in ??

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
With some auto transmissions if the torque converter is not clicked into place in the box properly,it can smash the transmission pump once the transmission is bolted up to the engine.The converter has to be spun around whilst pushing it into the box.It will click in a couple of times before its seated properly.Ive seen a few people do this and bugger their new box..

Last edited:

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
What car ??
What motor ??
What trans ??

Did you plug all the wires back in ??

WK Statesmen
Ecotec V6
4HFD Auto.

As for the water pump, we got the torq converter pushed pretty far in. But it could be a possibilily,

I will double check the lines today and see if anything is missing, other then that, I think a new auto is comming =\

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Mate get under the car and triple check you've plugged in ALL The sensors and wires, I had this problem with my car. We had the transmission out to fod the rear main seal, put it back in no worries drove off... wasn't shifting out of first. Back in, plug the wire and she's good to go.