Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Firewall/dashpanel quiries

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
Gona wire up my sub tomorrow, jus wondering which sides the firewall on and is it easily accesable from the engine side. Also having trouble pulling up the panel arond the handbrake/gearstick etc, is there a trick to pulling it up or does it jus need a fair bit of force from the handbrake side?

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
the fire wall is the section between the driver and the engine, if you are putting a wire through for constant power, use a grommet and make sure it is fused/linked as close to the battery as possible, try using a coathanger with wire tapped to it; near the brake booster, sorry unsure bout handbrake. Good luck

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
yeh kno what the firewall is etc i jus took the wiring kit out my vl so its all ready to go, jus the firewall was on the passenger side in the vl and apparently its on the drivers side on vps? ill hav a look tomorrow and see what i can do. Need to lift that panel so i can take the head unit out to connects the RCAs or can the head units rear be reached without pulling the whole thing out?

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
ok, the firewall plug is on the drivers side and it where the clutch would genreally go through the firewall. If you car is a manual this will be a real pain and you will hve to drill a new hole. If using the bung hole thing that is there its a large one just below or beside the steering column. Make sure you put the gommet back in or you will get puddles of water at your feet like i do.

No with the bit around the handbrake and yes you will ahve to take the entire head unit out to get rcas in you will also need 90 degree bends on that end of your rcas to get it to fit back in. There isnt much room behind there. Ok to take that piece out take the ash tray out and shove ya hand in there and leaver it out gently. It will need some force sometimes. Mine was a pain the first time.

If you need to know anything else just yell. Ive done like 10 milion commo instals

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
lol, mate.. the firewall is the entire wall that seperates you from your engine bay, it isn't on one side or the other, its the whole divider...