Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First car for a girl

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Fundamentally they're the same to work on.

If you want safety go euro

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
I'd say strech to get a Mazda 3, great little machines those things! Not to big, but not to small either.
Maybe a swift, people are saying decnt things about them too.
And if coarse the good ol' pulsar, can't go wrong with one!

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
ideally how many km's is too much for a small engine? i know a commodore could keep going upto 300,000 km's easily enough if looked after. She wants to keep it for a few years 5+. Below 150,000km's is what I think?

I've told her about the cars you guys have listed on here will get back to you if interested.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I myself have an AH Astra...while I'm not sure about the older TR/TS Astra, the AH really is a pretty good car. I know, there are plenty of horror stories about Astras...but the key to them is finding one thats been well maintained, and serviced as per the logbook. I got mine in 2010 as an ex-Queensland Health car, just under 22,000km on the clock, absolutely immaculate, and its never skipped a beat. It had a new battery last year (the original was 4 years old, so about time really), and earlier on this year one of the engine mounts snapped, apart from that its been great. Good on fuel, handles well, and surprisingly fun to drive for a car of its type. Just be aware that as with any European car, the cost of parts will send you broke.

alpha_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
Having driven my sisters brand spanking new mazda 3 and a mazda 2 loan car, I ask myself the question, why are they so popular? It lacks grunt unless you floor it, doesn't sound great, interior is pretty nice (new car so it should be) and I'm not a fan of the styling so much. Ah well, its the way the worlds going I guess.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ideally how many km's is too much for a small engine? i know a commodore could keep going upto 300,000 km's easily enough if looked after. She wants to keep it for a few years 5+. Below 150,000km's is what I think?

I've told her about the cars you guys have listed on here will get back to you if interested.

Same stands mate. Well serviced and they'll go forever (3-400k+)

Another vote for Astra. I know 3 people with ts astras. Cheap little cars, the 1800 has decent power and they've been reliable. Just beware they're 60k Cambelts

Gfs friends ones done 250k, her family's had it since 40
Sister has one done 130k, she's had it since 120 but over like 2 years, she does no ks
Friend of mines done 180k, had it a few years too from 140. Only issue was it did an alternator bearing.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Seen a bunch under a truck too:/

girls dont care about safety, as long as its cute, has Bluetooth and ipod connectivity.... shell cross that bridge when she drives off it...

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i just bought my daughter a 2000 Corolla for her first car. $3200, low km auto with a RWC.

If you want to spend a little more, you can pick up a 2005 Kia Cerato with low kms for under $7000. Well optioned, reliable, very good cars. Kia is owned by Hyundai, they share a lot of parts so are just better looking (and IMO better built) versions of the Accent family.

If you want to stretch the budget a bit higher, you cant go past a later model Corolla or a Mazda.

How many doors does she want? I get that she wants small, does it also need to be practical? Does it need necessarily need to be fairly new? Perhaps an MX5 or an RX7? Or a hot little older Mini?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Get her an Excel, they call them dodgem cars for a reason... Failing that, Prius or Mercedes smart car.