Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First car for a girl

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
She's found one of these in good condition with low km's and 1 year dealer warranty for $7500, 2007 Hyundai Accent Reliability - MSN Autos

Looks great, very clean. Unsure on safety and any reliability issues these cars have thought. Worth a look?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
She's found one of these in good condition with low km's and 1 year dealer warranty for $7500, 2007 Hyundai Accent Reliability - MSN Autos

Looks great, very clean. Unsure on safety and any reliability issues these cars have thought. Worth a look?

The drivetrain in that is identical to the one in my 05 Kia Cerato auto. Same engine, same gearbox etc.. just rebranded as a Kia. Apart from a few cosmetic changes, they are probably very close to identical cars.

My Kia has 172k on the clock, and had only ever had scheduled services, tyres, 1 set of front brake pads and 2 sets of rears (they wear out rears faster, go figure). Apart from that, its never had a spanner on it. ( edit: forgot I had to replace its 7 year old original battery a few months back!! ) Its still a great car, reliable, comfortable and economical. Goes pretty hard for what it is too, and handles well on decent tyres.

If the k's are low, I would say its going to be a great car. Not an exciting one, but a very sensible buy.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Alright, i'll take that into consideration, is the Kia equivalent cheaper? Spose I'll have a look. Thanks for the reply :beer chug:

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
i just bought my daughter a 2000 Corolla for her first car. $3200, low km auto with a RWC.

If you want to spend a little more, you can pick up a 2005 Kia Cerato with low kms for under $7000. Well optioned, reliable, very good cars. Kia is owned by Hyundai, they share a lot of parts so are just better looking (and IMO better built) versions of the Accent family.

If you want to stretch the budget a bit higher, you cant go past a later model Corolla or a Mazda.

How many doors does she want? I get that she wants small, does it also need to be practical? Does it need necessarily need to be fairly new? Perhaps an MX5 or an RX7? Or a hot little older Mini?
a little mini for mini me, DAKSTER you are still on the dark side of the moon.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Alright, i'll take that into consideration, is the Kia equivalent cheaper? Spose I'll have a look. Thanks for the reply :beer chug:

I would say they are probably similar prices. Kia are owned by Hyundai, they share a lot of stuff, but I personally believe the Kias are better looking and better made. Early Kias were heaps of junk, but anything this century are pretty good cars really.. though not a big fan of the Rio.

With my Cerato, nothing has broken or fallen off in all these years, and everything works just as it originally did. Even the electric windows still work well. The only 2 slightly annoying things are the fuel flap doesnt always open easily, but that might have something to do with the dent just there... ;) and the cruise control occasionally drops out, I must get around to adjusting the brake switch.. when I do it will be the first time though.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Meh manual will be cheaper in the long run and my opinion is they are safer, more control, more concentration, more breaking if needed. Meh each to our own.

Yet way harder to sell in that car class. I think you are off the mark on the safety aspect too.

Reaper

missybubble

Reaction score
Members Ride
X
If it were me, I'd get a Mazda or Toyota, definitely stay away from the Hyundais. I had a 2002 2L Mazda 323 once and it was awesome, even kinda wish I still had it sometimes (as well as the Commdore that is!), it was a great smaller car. (Oh yeah and I'm a girl lol.)