Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First car for a girl

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
^^ How about you get off the crack and make some sense.

images

have fun with that ^

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
how about you roll it then talk?

I can accept that you say you have seen various cars rolled etc, and anecdotal evidence is always something to be considered. However, since the Sonata is a relatively rare car compared with most, just how many have you actually seen rolled?

As for the brand itself, most of the older Hyundai that I have seen are pretty neglected, and often driven by P platers as a cheap first car. You don't think its got more to do with the lack of maintenance and the skills of the drivers that gets them into trouble in the first place? I would think that gives an older Hyundai a higher chance of being involved in an accident, and therefore a higher chance of you having seen a few rolled?

I challenge your statement that ANCAP ratings mean nothing. They are the industry accepted standard. It kinda reminds me of the old 'GM spends millions on research and development, some guy has a holesaw.. discuss' comment on someones sig in here.. cant remember who. You are saying you know more than the many car companies around the world who spend many millions ensuring their cars are as safe as they can reasonably be, and the independent assessors who test and rate their safety.

Even if in fact the Sonata comes out worse in a rollover ( and I repeat, just how many Sonata rollovers have you actually seen?), rollovers are hardly the most common accident on the road. The Sonata may survive a different impact much better. 4 stars is 4 stars mate, and the ratings aren't pulled out of a hat.

You don't like Hyundais, I get that. Neither do I in the main, they are ugly snotboxes just like WRX's. That doesn't make them death traps.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Personally I think it's a fantastic car to start with. She's 18, worked hard the last two years to get one, bought it outright. Has had no support from anyone.

Main thing is it's a safe mid sized sedan, decent on fuel and something she can be proud of.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
lol at the bashing my wrx..... that actually reinforces what i've been getting out on the ancap safety ratings...... doesnt mean much if your gonna do the wrong thing or not look after the car.

I just laugh when people talk about these small cars and safety... aint *** safe about most of them.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
lol at the bashing my wrx..... that actually reinforces what i've been getting out on the ancap safety ratings...... doesnt mean much if your gonna do the wrong thing or not look after the car.

I just laugh when people talk about these small cars and safety... aint *** safe about most of them.

I just laugh when people talk about these small cars and safety... and the car they own is smaller than the one they are bagging.. and when people switch directions on their argument. First it was ANCAP ratings mean nothing.. then its not the car that matters at all, its how the car is maintained and driven.. then its all small cars aren't safe...

So, what you are basically saying is all cars are death traps if badly maintained or badly driven. At last we can agree on something.

And I am not bagging your rex. I am using it as a direct comparison against a car which you have labelled a 'death trap' and challenging you to prove that your car is any safer, with direct facts or statistics instead of a random, unnecessary and unsupported comment bagging someone elses pride and joy.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
All I want to say, is that I would rather be t-boned by a truck doing 100kp/h in a Commodore than a Barina.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I strongly recommend you avoid such a situation in either car.. and the Sonata we are discussing is a similar size and weight to a Commodore of the same vintage anyway..