Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First car (VT) cheap mods, help!?!?!?

daveysvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT
Hey, i'm 18 and I have a Vt and just want to do some cheap mods as i'm very low on cash. want to do thwm performance or looks wise. Open so anything!
So far I have:
- taken paint off so I have a chrome grill
- new number plate lights
- new headlight bulbs today
- came lowered at the back on SL's
- came with power windows
- debadged it
- exhaust tip
- stereo

I'm quite keen to paint my brake calipers but i have a dark green car and i'm not sure what colour would go with it, any ideas?

Thankyou for any answers!

King diddy calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais 05 Alloytec 190 with a secret mod
Color of car? I'd suggest looking at mace engineering website, first off - throttle body, Cold air intake, manifold spacer (works a treat), single 2.5 inch red back cat back exhaust, but if you want real performance...well, high ratio roller rockers and cams ect... Fairly cheap for ecotecs mate, also a performance tune or piggy back tuned memcal for your ecu.. List goes on and on and on for these motors. Good thing is... You can't see half these mods ;) so keeps the boys in blue happy. Also don't attract to much attention to your car, cops will pick you up in the first hour without a doubt.

Throttle body:BORED OUT 69MM THROTTLE BODY! For Holden VS-VY - Mace Engineering Group
Manifold insulator:COLD AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD INSULATOR 25MM FOR HOLDEN VS-VY ECO - Mace Engineering Group
Manifold spacer:PERFORMANCE 25mm PLENUM/MANIFOLD SPACER! Holden V6 VS-VY - Mace Engineering Group
Ultra high ratio roller rockers:ULTRA HIGH RATIO ROLLER ROCKERS FOR ECOTEC AND L67 V6 - Mace Engineering Group
Cold air intake:COLD AIR INTAKE TO SUIT HOLDEN VT-VY V6 & L67 - Mace Engineering Group
Camshaft: COMP Cams to suit V6 Ecotec - Mace Engineering Group
And last one plug n play ECU memcal:http://www.maceengineering.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/mace/Products/MEM609/SubProducts/MEM609

Or.... If you turn it into a drag monter:http://www.aseturbo.com/HOLDEN-COMMODORE/VT-VZ-COMMODORE/ECOTEC-V6-SINGLE-TURBO-KIT-T-600-STEALTH/prod_282.html

Last edited:

Sideways-Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
I'm trying to mod up the VT too with what small sum of money I have (I'm 16) so I know where you're coming from. :p
The most recent that was done to the car was clear side indicators (on the guards) and if you find a wreckers that has them, or some kind of automotive store, they make the car look a lot cleaner and cool in my opinion. The paint was scraped off the grill as well so that the chrome would show.

You can try a 2 1/2" inch Redback exhaust as well as suggested above, we've got it and it does the job for the moment. :) You can find a nice/cheap spoiler to go with it, change the windscreen wiper blades to another colour but be prepared as we changed ours to red once and it faded to a dull red from use so we went back to black. You can also paint the engine cover.

What wheels do you have?

King diddy calais

Reaction score
Members Ride

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
If you don't have a spoiler already, don't get one. VTs look far cleaner without one. Unless the calipers are clearly visible I wouldn't worry about painting them as you'll likely need to re-bleed the brakes, which is difficult to do alone without the right equipment.
Consider painting the dash surround, something simple can add a little flare.
Changing the stereo head unit, even with a really cheap unit like the ones always on special, will improve sound over the standard Eurovox. Just buy the right VT adapter harness to make the job easy, no cutting wires. :)

You can look at the two hole mod for the airbox and if it's in the budget a new hi-flow air filter.
As already mentioned you'd next want to look at opening the intake with machined MAF and throttle body, and mail order memcals can be inexpensive and useful.
Cat-back bolt on exhausts are also readily available and relatively cheap when it comes to exhausts.

Other than that general maintenance like new spark plugs and leads, and cleaning the plenum chamber will aid performance. It won't be astronomical but every bit helps.

Oh, and start saving for something with a supercharged V6 or a V8 cause it's better to upgrade then pour the cash into a stock V6. Might I suggest a WH Statesman or Caprice. Nice!

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Wash, clay bar, polish then wax.
Inspect and replace all suspension bushes.
Save up for some new shocks.
Ignore performance mods for a N/A V6. Enjoy it as is and after a bit of time if you want power change it over to something without the least powerful engine of the range, you're starting from the wrong end.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
- came lowered at the back on SL's

Depending on how many K's on the clock i'd say it's been thrashed and you should save your pennies for an engine rebuild or another car in a couple of years when you're off your P's.

You infer you have no cash, yet you want to blow it on pointless mods instead of making sure the car is mechanically sound.....sure seems about right. Just make sure to let me know when you turn up on one of those ACA or TT shows doing fully hectic single peggers with your smoked tail lights and stockies on the rear.

King diddy calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Depending on how many K's on the clock i'd say it's been thrashed and you should save your pennies for an engine rebuild or another car in a couple of years when you're off your P's.

You infer you have no cash, yet you want to blow it on pointless mods instead of making sure the car is mechanically sound.....sure seems about right. Just make sure to let me know when you turn up on one of those ACA or TT shows doing fully hectic single peggers with your smoked tail lights and stockies on the rear.

I'm sure he's fully aware of that mate. How about this, not every young fella is a hoon and out there on the streets ripping single peggers. By the sounds of it he's just like me, loves to make his car look and feel a bit more punchy, and I believe there is nothing wrong with that. So take your 'constructive' posts elsewhere.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
i'm very low on cash.

take your 'constructive' posts elsewhere.

Your the one who linked products worth thousands and thousands of dollars. The OP specifically states that he is low on cash. So what was the point of your post at all. I however looked deeper into the OPs post and gave instead constructive criticism to someone who may not have "been there and done that". Whatever, go blow you're hard earned on pointless mods that serve no real purpose. Why bother putting that money towards keeping the car in good running order.