Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First car VY audio/tips

Bad@this

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Hey guys, I recently bought my first car a 2004 VY berlina from my grandparents who hardly drove it it's basically new at 128,000kms.
I have 0 knowledge in car audio and would like to know roughly how much I would be expected to pay an audio garage to upgrade. I want a new head unit a nice sub and great sound for the best value. Any tips or must knows would be appreciated.

Any other tips for being a vy owner would be great.

Outbak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
Hey guys, I recently bought my first car a 2004 VY berlina from my grandparents who hardly drove it it's basically new at 128,000kms.
I have 0 knowledge in car audio and would like to know roughly how much I would be expected to pay an audio garage to upgrade. I want a new head unit a nice sub and great sound for the best value. Any tips or must knows would be appreciated.

Any other tips for being a vy owner would be great.

Outbak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
Id say 800-1200 including installation. In my VY wagon I put double din clarion, kicker sub plus sony speakers. The key to saving money is research the components you want and wait for them to go special. Jbhi has specials. Id go to someone like JB and ask them to recommend a system. They should recommend a system to your budget and requirements. It pays to have a play with a few systems in the shop to understand what you want.

I started by replacing the factory head unit, issue was the factory speakers couldnt handle the power. If budget is an issue you could upgrade the head unit and speakers and add a sub later. If you like your music a sub is really good to have.

I needed to put my sub under the pasanger seat as i didn't want it in the cargo area. A sedan you can have one in the boot. My Kicker sub has a seperate knob to the head unit. Check if the sub adjustment can be done from the head unit for the system you are considering.

Im very happy with my system and glad I spent the money.