Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First new car - VF Calais

GavinH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
`Hi all,

Picking up my first new car, a VF Calais today.

Any tips on how to drive for the first while?

I have just assumed I should take it easy for the first 1000km or so?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'll be honest, I always take it fairly easy in my cars - even when they go out to the dragstrip or on a spirited mountain drive I never flog them.

Make sure the initial services and any minor issues are dealt with immediately.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
`Hi all,

Don't wring it's neck and avoid doing the same speed for extended periods (eg setting the cruise on 100km/h and driving from 1 end of a freeway to the other). Otherwise just drive it normally.

Bradvfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
+1 what Reaper stated.
Also in Owner's Handbook, Section 9-2 (for VF Sedan and Sportwagon)...
Do not make full throttle starts
Avoid Downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle
do not drive at any one constant speed
Use moderate acceleration in lower gears
Avoid vehicle speeds above 110km/h.

Quite a pain really as I am at the 300km mark and want to start enjoying the drive more.
However, short term pain for long term gain.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
`Hi all,

Definitely run the car in gently.

-- go easy on it for the first 3 - 4000 kms. No hard acceleration and high RPM. The car has heaps of power and torque so there is no reason to push it hard to get all the performance you need for sensible driving around town and on the highway.

- as reaper said, get it out on the highway as much as possible and vary the speed up and down between 70 and the top speed limit. Never sit for lengthy periods at the same speed while you are running it in. Around town just drive gently and traffic usually requires that you never sit on the same speed for very long in any event.

Keep an eye on all your fluid levels - engine oil, coolant, brake fluid to ensure everything is normal. These need to be checked on a regular basis in any event as part of normal maintenance. Buy some of the correct spec engine oil for top ups as you are going to need to top up the oil a little between services in any event - depending on how frequently you change the engine oil. Buy some coolant concentrate from Holden spares so you have fluid on hand to top up coolant as needed (it needs to be mixed 50/50 with demineralised water).

Have the engine oil and filter changed at about the 1-2000 km amrk. This will clean out any fine debris in the engine left from the manufacturing process. If you do not then ensure you have it done at the first service (3000km ). Holden does NOT include an oil and filter change on the first service (3000 km) so if not done by you before hand you will have to ask for it to be done. Otherwise the oil will not be touched until the next service.

Finally do not leave the engine oil and filter changes to the 15000 km intervals in the service book (which I assume Holden is still using for the VF). After the very first change, have the engine oil and filter changed thereafter at least every 7500 kms and only use the oils specified by GM for your engine (owners' manual). This is cheap preventative maintenance for your expensive new car investment, ensures there is minimal damaging sludge build up in your engine, optimises engine lubrication and reduces engine wear (bearings, cylinders , piston rings etc etc etc).

Bradvfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Thanks for the great tips Sean 880 as this is my first ever new car.
On the freeway I use the cruise control to vary the speed from 85 to 100 and back again. Every two minutes or so I vary the speed two or three km/h.

Owners handbook also states "between the first 1000km and 5000km speeds above 110km/h limited to 5 minutes per use."

GavinH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Definitely run the car in gently.

-- go easy on it for the first 3 - 4000 kms. No hard acceleration and high RPM. The car has heaps of power and torque so there is no reason to push it hard to get all the performance you need for sensible driving around town and on the highway.

- as reaper said, get it out on the highway as much as possible and vary the speed up and down between 70 and the top speed limit. Never sit for lengthy periods at the same speed while you are running it in. Around town just drive gently and traffic usually requires that you never sit on the same speed for very long in any event.

Keep an eye on all your fluid levels - engine oil, coolant, brake fluid to ensure everything is normal. These need to be checked on a regular basis in any event as part of normal maintenance. Buy some of the correct spec engine oil for top ups as you are going to need to top up the oil a little between services in any event - depending on how frequently you change the engine oil. Buy some coolant concentrate from Holden spares so you have fluid on hand to top up coolant as needed (it needs to be mixed 50/50 with demineralised water).

Have the engine oil and filter changed at about the 1-2000 km amrk. This will clean out any fine debris in the engine left from the manufacturing process. If you do not then ensure you have it done at the first service (3000km ). Holden does NOT include an oil and filter change on the first service (3000 km) so if not done by you before hand you will have to ask for it to be done. Otherwise the oil will not be touched until the next service.

Finally do not leave the engine oil and filter changes to the 15000 km intervals in the service book (which I assume Holden is still using for the VF). After the very first change, have the engine oil and filter changed thereafter at least every 7500 kms and only use the oils specified by GM for your engine (owners' manual). This is cheap preventative maintenance for your expensive new car investment, ensures there is minimal damaging sludge build up in your engine, optimises engine lubrication and reduces engine wear (bearings, cylinders , piston rings etc etc etc).

Excellent advice! Really top stuff mate appreciate it.

I'm not really good with cars other than the real basics (checking oil etc) - so not sure I'll be topping up oil - though I assume it's not too difficult?, I'll get it changed + filter at 1000km.

I've also organised Final inspection for next weekend to apply the new car paint protection/leather protection so that's the aesthetic side of things covered :)

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
as above just take it easy and you will be fine,you will rack up the km's before you know it

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
I've been told the complete opposite. Take it easy for the first 1000kms or so and then flog it. Not sure why but apparently they dyno higher later on if you do that. Probably not relevant in a Calais though.
Even though that's what I've been told, I have followed the owner's manual completely. ;)