Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First new car - VF Calais

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
I always take it easy but then I think how about the highway patrol cars,do we really think the cops take it easy when running in new cars-I don't think they would,it all really comes down to how you personally want to do it,
imo best thing is to go by the manufacturers books,also I would change the oil myself and filter after 1500-2000 km's as this oil will have a high content of fine particles of metal etc from the engine being new-just my opinion
you will enjoy it no matter what you do-cheers

GavinH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Thanks fellas.

The main takeaway from my research and this discussion is no long idle/vary speeds and change oil/filter around 1000km.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
I've been told the complete opposite. Take it easy for the first 1000kms or so and then flog it. Not sure why but apparently they dyno higher later on if you do that. Probably not relevant in a Calais though.
Even though that's what I've been told, I have followed the owner's manual completely. ;)

Who buys a V8 and drives like grandma... Drive it how you want it go :D

jimmygrussell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
Hi guys, I need some info/help.

After reading several threads regarding the first 3000km service and oil changes I asked my local dealership if they change the oil in the 3000km service (which i have booked for next week). The guy behind the counter said "no" however getting advise from this forum I ask if that was "recommended"?. The guy said it doesn't get changed until the 15,000km service.

What has been everyone's experience at their 3,000km service regarding oil change?

Should I demand it be changed?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
g'day and yes I would ask for it to be changed,the last 2 cars I had,one Mitsubishi and one a Toyota was exactly the same,dealer told me the same thing,15 thou blah blah,I asked him to change both times and they did,filter was hard to tell if they did or not but oil will be a lot cleaner,if they don't want to do it go to another mechanic after the service and have them change it,you will get charged for the oil and filter but is a small price to pay imo

no need to demand just ask if they will change it for you,if they refuse-do as I have stated before-hope this helps

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
g'day and yes I would ask for it to be changed,the last 2 cars I had,one Mitsubishi and one a Toyota was exactly the same,dealer told me the same thing,15 thou blah blah,I asked him to change both times and they did,filter was hard to tell if they did or not but oil will be a lot cleaner,if they don't want to do it go to another mechanic after the service and have them change it,you will get charged for the oil and filter but is a small price to pay imo

no need to demand just ask if they will change it for you,if they refuse-do as I have stated before-hope this helps

My Grandpa would always draw on his filter with black texta or white out prior to a service to make sure it was done, could work here.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
gday husky,yep I always do the same type of thing,bit hard with a internal paper filter on the old Toyota aurion though,what I did do was marked all the inside tyres with chalk to see if the tyres were rotated,they weren't,rang them up they said it was done,challenged them,they then checked with the so called tech,oops forgot to,liars,then was told they didn't need to be rotated,rang Toyota hq,was told they should be,reported the dealer,dealer had their ass kicked so was told,this and many other little things from this dealer here,like brake pads measured without taking wheels off etc,according to the receipts I have from this dealer in the 3 years I had them service the car under the Toyota warranty thing the pads actually increased in thickness-hows that possible-its not obviously,quizzed them and was told a heap of crap,moral of story like you said leave a tag or something to tell if it was done without being too obvious

haha-rant over:blah blah: