Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First oil change on 08 SS

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi guys, I just got my 08 SS in January and I need to change the oil. It is heavily modded (cam, otr, headers and exhaust). It has 160k on the clock.

Which oil brand and thickness would I need? I'd like to know what you guys recommend.

Thank you for your time.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If you search you'll find many different opinions on oil. 5w -30 is Holden recommendation. Penrite have a 5w -40 grade that they recommend for a 5W-30 application, however you'll also find many happy campers using 10w- 60. What ever grade you use,suggest to use full synthetic oil especially with longer oil change intervals with VE service schedule, the 6.0 litre cars take about 9 litres of oil whereas with earlier LS1's oil capacity was typically just 5 litres.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
good advice above, BUT!! be prepared to maybe change your oil once or twice very quickly when you've done your oil change, not alarming you but if you dont know whats been used in the past it may get slightly noisier with your choice of oil, i used penrite 5/40 for many klm's and after (150,000klm) engine was a bit noisier, after reading up on this i decided too go with castrol 10/60 car hated it was rattly as f**k. went too penrite 10/60 thing is as quiet as, there is alot of info on here about it some engines like this, some like that. start with the recommended 5/30 synthetic good brand and you should be right, there are plenty of 5/40 out there too so dont discount them either

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks guys. I have no idea what has been used before.

What you think of Penrite HRP10 10w50 as an "in-between" of the suggestions?
PS just to double check, the 6.0L takes 9 litres? Damn!

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
HPR10 should be ok, yep 8.7 litres in mine, earlier model, the hpr comes in 10ltres so all good

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
HPR10 should be ok, yep 8.7 litres in mine, earlier model, the hpr comes in 10ltres so all good
Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

While I got you, what brand you recommend for oil filter, or are they all basically the same?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Go genuine filter

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks again guys. Much appreciated.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Thanks again guys. Much appreciated.
Genuine cost bugger all mate buy 3 at a time or more. I use Penrite and love it but then again everyone loves what they use........