Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First Post, A few questions..

rocknroll93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore, Series 1, 3.8ltr V6
Hey all, first post here, and I have a few questions for you regarding my VP commodore.
it's sedan, the 5ltr V6, series 1 I believe, but most of that is unimportant to my questions.
the first question I have should be simple..

what is the stock exhaust diameter? I've done a fair bit of searching, and only find aftermarket parts dimensions.. I just want to know how big the stock is before I decide on aftermarket parts.

2nd question: how hard will it be to put a VS interior into a VP? I want A VP dash, console and door trim. will I have to swap the computer for a VS one to accommodate for the tachometer, or is there more involved, and how do I relocate the heating vents from the stock VP dash to the VS door vents?

3rd question: I Need various bushes in the VP, as alot of them are perished. Should I just go Nolathane all around?

4th question (may be a little tricky for me to explain): there was a miss in the car a couple of days ago, since then, we (me neighbor as well, as he is a qualified mechanic) have mostly fixed it, as alot of it was caused by old/grotty fuel. we replaced the fuel filter as it was full of crap, and have put a bottle of Injector cleaner in with the fuel. that has removed most off this 'miss' but we aren't too sure that it's even a cylinder miss, and it may be something else. it doesn't miss on idle, and only as you accelerate from 1st gear to 2nd. it also seems like it misses as you hold your foot on the accelerator keeping a speed of around 60kms. I know there is a wheel bearing that need replacing, but this feels like a miss more that the bearing. you can feel the bearing, but it feels different to this miss. there was a hole in the rear muffler until today, and that wasn't the cause of this problem. it's none of the coils, and im pretty sure none of the leads or plugs are the problem too. it feels like a miss, but it may not be. the car just may need a good tune..

hope you understood the last one, and im looking forward to hang out on here a bit more.
remember, I don't have a solid income, and there are questions for when I finally get a job/my P's.
I just figured I would ask now, as I can do little bits here and there. the past 2 days I have done the fuel filter, radiator, welded up a hole in the rear muffler, fixed my tail lights, and removed most of a miss.
I want to get this car to a decent running conditon before I get it to show condition, and I already have plans for that.

hope someone (or a few of you) can answer my questions, and I hope to be able to show off my car on here when I get a job!
Cheers,

-John
(sorry for the massive post)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its a V6, its a 3.8 litre engine. If its a V8 its the 5.0 litre engine. With the misfire, renew the sparkplugs and leads if they are more than 12 months old. If this doesnt fix it, then replace the 3 ignition coils, as these can run ok at idle, but break down under load and cause a misfire,spark plug leads can do the same thing if theyre stuffed, so always replace them first before replacing ignition coils.

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
MAN, there's 1 first thing that comes to mind.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!!

I don't think I could ever mistake a wheel bearing for a miss in the engine.
If you had bad fuel and that, you would probably want to drive it for a bit as the bad fuel can very easily contaminate the fresh fuel you put in. Plus did you drain the fuel system and FILL it up after or just chuck 10 ltrs in.
I hate to say it but I think you may have a challenge ahead of you.

From memory the stock VS exhaust is 2&1/4". I could check it tomorrow If I find it laying around.

If you don't have much cash flow I would be getting as many second hand stock bushes I could find to get out of trouble.

The interior I can't help with.

rocknroll93

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the replies guys!
I thought it was 5ltr, that was just my brain being stupid.
it's not a wheel bearing, my neighbour says its just the bad fuel, and that it will slowly disappear as more and more new fuel + injection cleaner goes in..
I had just put more fuel in, even though I nearly was on empty.

I know it's not the coils, as we pulled each plug out 1 by 1 while running.
it's just a little miss, ill figure it out eventually..

as for the bushes, the ones I have are alright, they have just started cracking and perishing, and ill be spending my next centrelink payment on the car (ill be replacing the rear muffler and bushes, and ff i can afford it, rear brakes, as I have fresh fronts in).

so nolathane are better than the standard rubber ones right? I don't mind paying a little more, ill be starting with the bad ones, the Swaybars, and the front Z bar.

I can get second hand parts cheap, I used to work in the local wreckers, and the owner helps me out when I need somthing cheap.

once again, thanks for the replies, and just to be sure ill be pulling the timing light out tommorow to make sure.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
OP :- I wish you luck with your new car, ask those questions freely & most here will help you out with informative answers & advice!

1) Customcreations is right on size of stock at 2.25" (57MM) stock parts are :M6175 & M6176 (I got this off my last parts invoice from 2007, 2mths ago I replaced the lot including cat with a custom S/S straight through 2.5").

2) Superpro Bushes - entire front & rear kit incl front sway bar link pins (plus Strut tops) = better than Nolathane IMO. Some of your bushes can be restored alittle by removing them & soaking in hot soapy water (I don't this, I just replace).

3) If you're wanting to replace the interior with a VS then you're in for a major challenge! BTW your have a VP dash anyways (hows about just get the VS door map pockets & speaker mounts to start with for your tunes).

4) If you have just got the car recently I would personally have a reputable mechanic do a service & a full safety point check over just to know exactly what you're up against (they will list all the things that need doing on you invoice).

5) With your budget, just do what needs to be done in a logical order over time, make a list after you get it back from the mechanic & go to it from there (as most will vouch for on JC, you can & will spend 1000's over the years even with DIY & still have a large "list of things to do":boxing:

PS : Go to Supercheap or Repco & get your Gregory's Workshop Manual, (either no. 258 or 261) invaluable reading mate!

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Your band sounds better than my car :yahoo:

rocknroll93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your band sounds better than my car :yahoo:

hah!
thanks mate!
just remembered this forum, im back again.

the car need alot done to it, but all this is useful info..
for interior my neighbor just told me to get a VP cluster with the taco, so ill do that.
get the seats upholstered and various crap like that. just cos its my first car doesn't mean it can't have money dropped into it when I get a job...

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
All fuel injector cleaner does is losten all the crap and blocks up the injectors... I know i expirienced it! 2 hours from home..

Same as engine flush it lostens all the gunk and blocks the oil pick up and make you get a oil light and than you need to pull out and clean the sump etc...

stuff all the cleaners and ****