Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First post

ChristopherJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonne Ute
Good morning, guys. Newbie here with tidy VZ one tonner. But I am currently charging up a new Bosch battery that I purchased on Friday...
Only had ute for a week, my first Holden in more than thirty years as I sold my HQ sedan in 1982 for about $2k...

Went to get in it on Friday, starter motor turned, but I could tell I was going to flatten battery. So I stopped. I was in hurry, but managed to get my quality charger up to the vehicle. Connected up the charger and I get this error beeping from the charger, which in my experience was probably that the battery needed to be replaced.

Back with new battery, I was disconnecting old one, when I realise that I had put the charger terminals on the wrong sides of the battery (I was in a hurry, but that was inattentive of me). Anyway, I take that news on the chin and I hook up new one and go fetch some rocks for neighbour. Leave her with it on Saturday, as we have a long planned golf day, and then return to see it parked and clean. This morning, I go to it and not even enough power to open the doors. So have disconnected battery and it's on charge.

My drivers seat has a toggle switch on RHS near front. It seems to have a four way movement, yet only the back of the seat comes up and goes down, the front part of the switch moves, but seat doesn't. Perhaps GM only designed a seat that rises up from the rear, but I don't think so. Any insight here would be appreciated.

Have multimeter. From reading threads, need to connect up and measure current draw, then take out fuses, such as power seats and see if current draw returns to to normal.

What is normal, btw, and thank you for everyone who responds?

ChristopherJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonne Ute
I'll add, I just went down to car and had a look at the switch. Peeled back new car seat cover and gently applied fingers to the switch and, yes, it clicked back to neutral and had been in the down position at the rear of the switch. Will check back on current drain once the battery is fully charged again.

ChristopherJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonne Ute
Update: After resetting switch, proceeded to charge battery. Car starts, check. As I think I have the culprit, the seat switch, I decide not to do a power drain check as my multimeter can only handle 5 amps going through it. I park it overnight. It starts fine in the morning. I check the volts on battery 12.57 (good). Start car and recheck volts 14.28 (perfect).

Thank you. Will check out other posts and members' rides.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
take off earth teminal replase it if it sparks some thing is useing power

ChristopherJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonne Ute
take off earth teminal replase it if it sparks some thing is useing power
cheers, gungazza. Good one. Yet, still need to pull fuses to find the circuit, eh? I lucked on a previous post here, so had a good idea about the culprit as I'd been testing the switch, somewhat annoyed that the seat would go up and down at the rear, but not at the front, when the switch is designed to have that operation, imho. Get around to looking at that in due course
Driving around Cairns today, slippery as. And, didn't take much to get rears spinning, so took it easy as. Thanks again