Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to learn as much as I can about project cars, at a beginners level, as a long-term hobby and project as it's something I've always wanted to and really respected people who do it. My family just wasn't into cars. I do, by chance happen to have access to a mechanics pit and have slowly spent the time getting the correct equipment and tools to be able to most of the stuff I could think of.

I wanted to have a manual V8 ute, I particularly like the VS model, and was advised that an LS1 swap would be okay for a beginner - just planning on getting everything to run normally as a daily would, then restore the paintwork/interior/fixtures, and then head down the exhaust, header, OTR route. Leaving the possibility of more if my skill level lets me and I do recognise this would be a long-term project fully.

Am I overshooting the mark stupidly here, or is it a reasonable goal?

Also, if anyone has tips on what to/where to/how to buy parts, etc. for me, as well as any other info input I'd be greatly appreciative.

I live in Adelaide SA, in terms of sourcing local parts - I know most of Holmart as an online as well as eBay, then locally there's JCS (Just Commodore Spares), Gumtree, Marketplace, and a few FB owners clubs.

Feel free to tell me if I have a good idea or point me in a better direction as you see fit. No unappreciated help or answers thanks, it all helps.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
My advice would be if you're really set on a vs ute buy factory v8 in best condition you can find/afford...they're old enough with enough mileage on them now you'll have your hands full repairing or replacing stuff just to keep it on the road as weekender/cruiser.

Same thing if set on ls powered ute buy vu-vz ss ute or tonner in best condition you can find/afford then do all small stuff to learn on & keep progressing if you like it.

May cost more up front but way easier in long run & easier to keep motivation going if car is already running & registered versus rough old wreck pulled down into million pieces then lose motivation or realise conversion is over your head & bottomless moneypit like many first timers.

aussiebattler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss, vl calais & vl belina
Hey Jake, love your passion. i am a firm believer in built not bought, and like you when i started this journey i didnt know much, the old saying half the gear and no idea comes to mind. how i started out was to always be on the look out for mates or mates of mates that were working on there own cars and ask if i could help. it might be things like doing oil changes, brake pads, whatever comes up basically. and slowly build your skill level to a point where you can do the things yourself without guidence. luckily for you, these days you have youtube and forums like this one to learn much quicker than i did. however to buy a vs ute and fit a ls1 into it would probably be something i would try when your skill level advances as you will need to have reasonable fabrication skills and sound knowledge as you will have to modify many things like engine management, engine mounts, sump and oil pick up, tailshaft, exhaust, brakes, gearbox mount, speedo, diff and possibly diff ratios etc etc then after doing all that the engineers will retire on you by charging you a few grand to approve your work. if i was you i would buy a cheap cheap vt, vy v6 and buy a workshop cd off ebay and start by pulling things apart and putting them back together as per the workshop manual instructions then move on to maybe bodywork, interior, stereos etc etc till you get to the point your ready to tackle a big job. hope this helps. i also recommend a swear jar and a box of bandaids or duct tape lol. as for sourcing parts your on the money already. all the best